Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO I need a Dyno tune after installing an upgraded Heat Ex-Changer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 PM
yfz450killer
1st Gear Member

Default DO I need a Dyno tune after installing an upgraded Heat Ex-Changer?

If I am just replacing my Roush stock heat ex-changer, will I need a dyno tune on the car? I am just curious since all I am changing is fluid capacity and moving to a more efficient style heat ex-changer.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yfz450killer
If I am just replacing my Roush stock heat ex-changer, will I need a dyno tune on the car? I am just curious since all I am changing is fluid capacity and moving to a more efficient style heat ex-changer.
If you mean intercooler the answer is no, I dumped my Roush for an Afco dual fan, not a problem.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yfz450killer
You say it is more efficient... Does it flow more CFM or just allow lower IAT? I would think that if it flows better, that for the same given PSI, there might be more air and if the fuel is not adjusted accordingly, then a lean condition might be experienced. I would recommend calling your tuner to inquire for sure.

Merry Christmas.

Don
Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i think you will be ok with the same tune
should run the same only cooler
Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
i think you will be ok with the same tune
should run the same only cooler
You're running FI and would know better than me, but I am thinking there might be more difference than just "only cooler".

If the car were to be put on a dyno, do you think there would likely be a gain in RWHP? Cooler intake temp equals more dense air, right?

It's been a WHILE since I was into FI, but I am just thinking that with this change, there will be a bump in power and if not accompanied with the corresponding changes in the fuel, it might (emphasis here) cause a lean condition.

Don
Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
You're running FI and would know better than me, but I am thinking there might be more difference than just "only cooler".

If the car were to be put on a dyno, do you think there would likely be a gain in RWHP? Cooler intake temp equals more dense air, right?

It's been a WHILE since I was into FI, but I am just thinking that with this change, there will be a bump in power and if not accompanied with the corresponding changes in the fuel, it might (emphasis here) cause a lean condition.

Don

seems like a logical point. but for the sake of discussion, i would like to give my 2 cents.

i have not upgraded my heat exchanger, so i am not 100% sure.
but my theory is this:
you have the same SC pulley, so it is spinning the same, and the same boost level as previously when the engine is cool.
now with the upgraded heat exchanger, when engine is hot, the IAT are not as high as it once was.
so, it wont be retarding timing as much as before.
i dont think you will gain power, but rather your power will stay more constant when hot, instead of losing power when it gets hot.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:00 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

No you don't need a new tune.... Especially with a water/air setup. It has nothing to do with the flow of air since its not an air to air intercooler. With a larger heat exchanger there is just more surface area for cooling and more capacity so that your IATs stay cooler for longer due to the higher capacity of coolant/water.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

No tune needed.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas

Don
On the other hand though, you don't need a new tune when the winter comes and the temperature difference would be much greater in those situations.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
On the other hand though, you don't need a new tune when the winter comes and the temperature difference would be much greater in those situations.
Very good point... Thanks everyone for clarifying this...

Don

Quick Reply: DO I need a Dyno tune after installing an upgraded Heat Ex-Changer?