Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas mileage in your supercharged stang?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
wow, how much boost with your 2200? Can you link to your post here or PM ... pros/cons of each of driving. I know that the centrifugal 2200 hits boost a bit later (full around 3-3.5k) but runs cooler than roots style, and is not even audible at WOT ....depends if you want 'sleeper' or not
Well... So the centri superchargers really aren't very good sleepers. Actually, they're probably less of a sleeper than most roots or TS superchargers because they make a very noticeable whistle at idle. Anyone who pulls up next to you is going to know something is much different under the hood.

That said, I chose the Paxton because I like the overall stock drivability when you're in the lower rpms, but once you get into it, the car really starts pulling. The only major drawbacks I see is the oil change interval for the supercharger (7,000 miles) and the fact that you're not supposed to run the supercharger in temperatures less than 20 degrees unless it's kept in a garage or the engine is already a bit warm.

The other types of blowers tend to have tons of torque right off the line and can be quite fun to tear around in on the street.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUSkier
Well... So the centri superchargers really aren't very good sleepers. Actually, they're probably less of a sleeper than most roots or TS superchargers because they make a very noticeable whistle at idle. Anyone who pulls up next to you is going to know something is much different under the hood.

That said, I chose the Paxton because I like the overall stock drivability when you're in the lower rpms, but once you get into it, the car really starts pulling. The only major drawbacks I see is the oil change interval for the supercharger (7,000 miles) and the fact that you're not supposed to run the supercharger in temperatures less than 20 degrees unless it's kept in a garage or the engine is already a bit warm.

The other types of blowers tend to have tons of torque right off the line and can be quite fun to tear around in on the street.
I see. yeah I almost mentioned, its quite loud at idle and especially when its cold. I could've swore i read on paxton's website that the s/c is oiled by a line coming off of the engine so all I have to do is change the engine oil like normal? I should probably change my s/c oil, it has a slight grinding sound at 2 per second and I got the car 1000 miles ago. I have a video of it but paxton didnt respond to my email

edit: "How often do I need to service the supercharger?

The NOVI line of superchargers are engine oil fed. Simply change the oil in your vehicle every 3,000 miles. No additional service is needed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuuTR...3QBr_TYM1F5SLk

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-results.html looks like your writeup of m90 to 2200?

Last edited by Jas5; 01-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

This is a pretty funny thread, because you really cannot get great mileage from a supercharged car. Yes you can do well on cruise control on the highway in 5th at 60mph but you cannot resist the urge to boot it for long in the real world.

But to answer the question, I get 10 around town and 19 on the highway. My other car is a 2011 GTI and that gets 25mpg overall. Its my "work" car and gets 20,000 miles a year put on it. My mustang has about 6,000 in total and its a 07. I really don't care about its mileage anymore. But it sure is fun to drive fast!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Hecubus28

I am getting about 14-15 in the city and around 17 on the highway using a Vortech v3 and 4.10 gears.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
I see. yeah I almost mentioned, its quite loud at idle and especially when its cold. I could've swore i read on paxton's website that the s/c is oiled by a line coming off of the engine so all I have to do is change the engine oil like normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuuTR...3QBr_TYM1F5SLk
The "brrr" sound, as far as I know, is normal. Mine does it too. However mine is constant, while yours sounds like a clock.
Have you tried raising or lowering the idle RPM to see if it's just a freak coincidence of resonance or something. I don't know.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
The "brrr" sound, as far as I know, is normal. Mine does it too. However mine is constant, while yours sounds like a clock.
Have you tried raising or lowering the idle RPM to see if it's just a freak coincidence of resonance or something. I don't know.
that thunking sound that occurs 2x per second is normal? It comes from the s/c. Hmmm.. havn't adjusted the idle its set at 750rpm
I want to record another video outside of my garage now that I have an exhaust on there and not open pipes, to hear better
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

My procharger that I have on my 95 mustang is loud at idle, but I can hardly hear this paxton 2200 on my 06.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esp3500
My procharger that I have on my 95 mustang is loud at idle, but I can hardly hear this paxton 2200 on my 06.
Huh. I never heard that generation of he blower but mine (especially while the engine warms up) is very noticeable. Just curious, is yours an SL or do you have a loud exhaust?

While I'm on the subject, and sorry to threadjack, does anyone else's Paxton get significantly louder in the winter months?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 AM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Huh. I never heard that generation of he blower but mine (especially while the engine warms up) is very noticeable. Just curious, is yours an SL or do you have a loud exhaust?

While I'm on the subject, and sorry to threadjack, does anyone else's Paxton get significantly louder in the winter months?
Yes mine is the NOVI 2200SL and no my exaust is not loud.
I can hear mine if I listen closely, but I have to listen. on the other hand when I pull up to a stop light in my 95 mustang which does have loud exhaust( BBK long tube headers no cats folwmaster cat back ) you hear the whine of the Procharger SC first. ( which I actually like)

The loudest thing about my Paxton is the blow off valve.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I mentioned its much louder when cold... both cold motor and cold outside like 30 degrees F. Im going to do a walk-around sometime

I guess everyone has different perceptions, the whine is actually pretty damn loud when idling and i'm walking around outside of my car. like my roommate says, it doesnt sound like a car, it sounds like a big industrial machine (from inside the house lol, keep in mind I used to have straight pipes).
But when I'm getting on it or even poking around at 2k rpm, i really just hear my exhaust/engine

Oh and yes the blow off valve sounds great, not as loud as aftermarket turbo BOV, but I love that subtle fluttery sound. Enjoy this sound bros....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeR7sMMLgBM

brb, changing underwear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas mileage in your supercharged stang?