Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer screwed me, should i try to return my 11 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:55 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Yep, an attorney will tell you if you have a case or not. We, on the other hand, can only offer opinions. Like stated before, it sounds like at this point it's your word against theirs. What kept you from telling them to jack up the front of the car to get a better look at the exhaust? That warranty would've spooked me from the get go, but what I'm more interested in is what exactly is included in the mods that "clearly voided the factory warranty"? Are we talking block work, possibly new cams, a trunk-mounted howitzer....?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yet another case where the OP would have been much better off had he come to the forums BEFORE the purchase.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

How long ago did you purchase the car? Sounds like the sales person just said what you wanted to hear, so they could get a sale.
If you attempt to return the car and the dealerships says you can't, getting a lawyer involved would be a good idea.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Just throwing this out here, but it could be possible to find out when the engine was last tuned to run without cats. As it was mentioned, the engine is running with a custom tune that would turn off the rear O2 sensors (unless your CEL is on). If I understand the ECU functionality right, it'll tell you when the last reset event was, correct? If so, you may be able to prove that the car was tuned to be without a cat prior to the sale.

Please disregard if this is a stupid idea.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
capaladj

Oh this cat is def tuned without cats since there is no cel and it has longtubes, but the cats can be fixed, the dealer said to bring it back and they would install it. What im most concerned about is the warrany they said I had, I even have it in writing that they said my warranty would be valid. the thing that voids the warranty is the supercharger that is on it.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
GM Supercar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Its called caveat emptor...buyer beware.
God I hate it when people say that.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Long tubes in Cali are illegal, that alone should have sent a red flag up the dealership either didn't know or knowingly lied to you. Also, unless custome made, longtubes require the removal of the cats. You can have a custom piece made to include some hiflow cats but must people don't opt for that kind of coin.

TT an attorney before you do anything with the dealer. At this point I would't trust anything the dealer says. At the very least you have a fraud case against them, at the very worst, the dealer will get fined and possibly be shut down depending on if there are any other cases for similar things with them.

Have you checked the BBB (Better Business Burea) to see if anyone has logged complaints against them?

Also, Cali does not have a cooling off period after a car purchase. Meaning you cannot return the car after the contract is signed. Period.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

It has a SuperCharger? I missed that part!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GM Supercar
God I hate it when people say that.
+1, I agree. That whole buyer beware thing doesn't speak well for customer/seller relations. Who knows, OP might just want a honda down the road for his family/kid's first car...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If I were you, I would get the dealer to provide you with a stock exhaust setup (exhaust manifolds, cats, x/h pipe, mufflers, etc.) that you just put aside in your garage until the 6th year when you need to SMOG it or if you sell it before then... and enjoy the long tubes until that time.

Quick Reply: dealer screwed me, should i try to return my 11 GT?