Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer screwed me, should i try to return my 11 GT?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 AM
capaladj

Default dealer screwed me, should i try to return my 11 GT?

So I bought a used 11 GT from a honda dealership, it was used and the car had aftermarket parts that clearly voided the factory warranty. So as we are negotiating the deal I ask atleast 3 different times if they can provide me some sort of warranty for the car. They say they can with an extended warranty from Fidelity. I made sure that it was annotated that there was aftermarket parts that would be covered even though the factory warranty was cancelled.

The car was also very loud, I asked on 2 occasions if the car had a catalytic converter. First response I got was "if it did not have a cat, it would not have passed the service inspection". So I took that answer as a yes, that it had a cat. On the next time, I asked if it would pass a SMOG check, they said it did not require a smog for 5 years.

Then a day after I take home the car, I find out that there is no cat. I was told that this was illegal for the dealership to even sell me a car that could not pass smog. I then call Fidelity to confirm my warranty is still good. Fidelity said that aftermarket parts may be covered on a case by case basis. I don't want to chance it, I just want a clear cut warranty which is what the dealer told me.

I want to keep the car, but I'm starting to think I should return it and look for another one. Do you think I have chance to return it? If they refuse, which I'm sure they will, do you think I have a chance in court to return the car?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

ohhh a dealer selling no cat in Cali. I bet you have a very strong case. they seem like polution ****'s
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57 AM
stangs13
1st Gear Member

Take them down with you..i would be more concerend with the poor sap that had traded in a gt for a Honda..
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

If you can prove that they sold you the car without cats then yes you have a clear case, I don't know how you would be able to prove that you didn't just remove the cats yourself after buying the car though. (just an objective point of view)

Have you spoken to the dealership about the missing catalytic converters? They might put them in for you and get the car certified if you can make a big enough stink about it. But again, I am not well versed in these cases. That being said, I would be most worried about proving that this car came without cats in the first place from the shady honda dealer.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

All the folks above bring up good points, but the only person to give you the right answers would be a lawyer. They know the "ins/outs" & will tell you (objectively) if you have a case.

Good luck!!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Vader. Get an attorney.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

There were so many red flags you maybe should have walked.

Did the car come with a Tuner? You coul always buy some cats from another owner that removed them. But if car has no cats it has aftermarket tune.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

What's preventing the dealership from saying that you must have removed the cats after you took the car home? BEFORE you purchased the car and signed all the paperwork you should have gotten down on you hands and knees and looked under the car. BINGO! No cats, no buy.

Right now all I see is a lot of "he said, she said." Your word against theirs.

Last edited by D'prived; 01-05-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Its called caveat emptor...buyer beware. The burden of proof that they sold the car to you without catalytic converters is 100% on you. If it's a dealership chain (like GO) you might try to escalate and you'd better document every conversation, but other then that you need an attorney. Sorry
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

If you suspected it didn't have cats, why didn't you just peek underneath the car??? I'm sorry to hear about your trouble though, good luck. If sh*t hits the fan and you can't return it, you can always just buy an aftermarket h or x pipe with high flow cats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dealer screwed me, should i try to return my 11 GT?