Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by donutsdemise
What if you refinance the loan? Is the cancelled ESP money on the back end going to be moved up to the 'front end' or how does it affect refinancing?

I know the dealers need to make money what with the Costco or Truecar pricing stuff they have to honor with a customer but to not have told me that there were 'stages' of ESP, and pushed the most expensive ESP plan on me from the get-go is annoying.
You refinance your principle ... the ESP refund has nothing to do with it. IF you cancel ESP then your principle goes down by the refunded amount. Keep in mind you only have 30 days to cancel for a full refund (minus a admin fee) .. after 30 days the refund is prorated ..
Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

If you refi the car, yes, it is moved up to the "front end".
What happens is your payments will drop because you principle no longer has the cost of the ESP.

Example: you buy the car with ESP. You find a better rate for interest an refi the car and dump EsP, your payments will drop for two reasons: your interest rsate is better. You owe less on prinviple because the cost of ESP is removed
Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NaplesFL11GT
The dealer suckered me into buying it as well. Is it worth it to me? Heck no. In fact I am going back to the dealer here within the next week and I am going to cancel it. They will prorate it for me or take some months off my loan. The 3/36 and 5/60 mile warranty should be enough for these cars.
I tend to agree. This car is highly rated by consumer reports and JD Power. I think the odds are with you on this.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I got a 75k mile one and have already benefitted from it.. they even replaced the peeling airbag emblem with a brand new airbag, fixed my lumbar support, fixed a rear end leak.. and I'll be using it again here soon for a messed up door sensor and I'm going to see if they'll give me a new head unit since the ****ing buttons are peeling and it looks like ****. Also it may be a long shot, but there's a portion where the dye on my leather has come off (WTF).. so I'm going to see if they'd cover that. Even since the car was new, Ford has honored everything under warranty and I am happy with their service.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Default If it breaks, they'll cover it.

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
I got a 75k mile one and have already benefitted from it.. they even replaced the peeling airbag emblem with a brand new airbag, fixed my lumbar support, fixed a rear end leak.. and I'll be using it again here soon for a messed up door sensor and I'm going to see if they'll give me a new head unit since the ****ing buttons are peeling and it looks like ****. Also it may be a long shot, but there's a portion where the dye on my leather has come off (WTF).. so I'm going to see if they'd cover that. Even since the car was new, Ford has honored everything under warranty and I am happy with their service.
Normal wear will not be cover until it breaks. Airbags is a different story. Depends on which after-market warranty you have though. Most of them aren't very good and I see a lot of people complaining.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zanypunk
Normal wear will not be cover until it breaks. Airbags is a different story. Depends on which after-market warranty you have though. Most of them aren't very good and I see a lot of people complaining.
Aftermarket warranties will not cover anything Airbag related, the only exception I have ever seen is Carmax warranty.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 AM
JimC

The Ford ESP is a very comprehensive warranty - not like the other aftermarket warranties.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I've got the 100k mile extended warranty, the free services till 100k and something else....can't remember. getting them DID add up some $ to the overall price, but it dropped my interest rate a LOT. It actually lowered my over all monthly payments by $100!!! That alone was worth it to me. The only thing I will ever have to pay for until 100k is tires and clutch. (They even cover brakes and light bulbs and wiper blades!)

I've crossed 6500 miles since the begining of Oct when I bought it. It's already saved me about $2500 when it had to be re-painted. I am NOT complaining about the extended add-ons.

Also, the dealer is pretty mod-friendly, as long as I 'clear' it through them before I do anything.