Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 AM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

Default Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It?

I let the financial guy convince me into adding the extended warranty to my purchase. He said it can be cancelled any time. Do I really need it what with the 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty? I didn't learn until later that there are several different plans and he pushed the most expensive, premium plan on me.

He seemed to think that the need for it is because the standard warranty only covers 'defects'.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

They will always push the most expensive on your first.
It really depends, if something comes up will you be able to pay for the repairs out of pocket or would it be better for you to add a little extra to your monthly payment? The only thing that sucks is the price of that warranty is added to the amount of the loan so after the warranty is up you will still be paying for it.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I have never bought one of those extended warranties as I figured the money tied in the incremental cost along with the typical several hundred $$ deductible, it was worth the risk... especially since it is a new car. Never personally had anything big fail on a new car within what would been part of the extended warranty.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Meh, I say don't do it. I got suckered into it too but A) If you mod. Or B) If you know a mechanic with a hook-up, it's easily not worth it. The only thing that scares me is the people with the problematic MT-82 trannys.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I've never bought one of those warranties either. I've found that problems surface either within the warranty or well after it's expired. Your car should have a 3 year bumper to bumper and a 5 year 60K drive train warranty.

Even with the new drive train this should cover you.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It? No.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Well, I have one, but probably wouldn't do it again. I do have to say, if you were to go for one, I do think the top of the line one is the only one I'd even consider.

Have to remember that warranties are gambles by the company to earn a net gain in profit, which means that customers on the whole must lose.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

I bought my car used and my bank that did the loan was offering a warranty that lasted up to 60k miles after the car was bought. I only paid $811 extra with my loan (a new car maybe even cheaper, I believe it all varies with miles vs the year), and I am glad I did as my tranny went out after 30k miles. You can also extend the coverage if you would like at any time.

I was running wider tires when it happened so the mechanic said they could argue that I was at fault. But he said they could not prove the car did not come with the tires as well, so I had a pretty good fighting chance.

The adjustor never even bothered coming out to the shop to inspect the damage, and not only was the tranny rebuilt, they also approved me for a shift kit and a heavy duty torque converter, I was like hell yes!

If you are going through a bank talk to them about Member's Choice Auto Care. You can get 3 levels of coverage, which will cover everything from drive train to your interior. Oh and the deductible for repairs is only $250.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Ford is pretty smart .. you have to get the most expensive PLan to cover all of the electronics, sound system, Navigation, etc in the car. If you buy it straight from Ford the ESP could be worth it. Not only to you extend bumper to bumper coverage out up to 100,000 miles ... but you also get a rental while you car is in for any warranty work. Without ESP you do not get a rental.

I will probably keep this car for a long time .. and with the 5.0, the MT82, Nav system, Backup Camera, HID's, etc .... I will probably getting the ESP. Heck .. just replacing one HID or the Navigation Screen would pay for the entire cost of the ESP ...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yeah I feel stupid for getting it now. I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time myself. But I'm glad now I didn't get the NAV package too...it woulda been almost 3K more. Ive seen some people take out the stock HU and put in Android Tablets and they look 1000000X better.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty on New GT Worth It?