Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the harness needed for the OEM HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Default Is the harness needed for the OEM HIDs?

Well as everyone knows from earlier that I ordered the complete headlamp assembly but without the harness. I took it to the stealership to see if they install the HIDs but they deem it to time consuming/expensive, blah blah blah. On top of that their parts department don't even carry it yet. So I go to my regular go to guy and he tells me that the harness isn't needed at all. So right now I'm at a loss. What's the verdict on this? I didn't want to do any harm to my car without consulting with you guys first. And for those who want to get 2010+ with HIDs, make sure they come with them from the get-go to avoid this headache
Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
Well as everyone knows from earlier that I ordered the complete headlamp assembly but without the harness. I took it to the stealership to see if they install the HIDs but they deem it to time consuming/expensive, blah blah blah. On top of that their parts department don't even carry it yet. So I go to my regular go to guy and he tells me that the harness isn't needed at all. So right now I'm at a loss. What's the verdict on this? I didn't want to do any harm to my car without consulting with you guys first. And for those who want to get 2010+ with HIDs, make sure they come with them from the get-go to avoid this headache
I also looked at doing this myself on my mustang. Based on my review of the Ford mechanics manual, the harnesses for the HID and halide lights appear to be different. Since these are an integral part of the engine wiring, it may be difficult to retrofit. I would suggest either taking a restocking charge, or selling these head lights. I would then recommend that you use your OEM headlights and retrofit them with Morimoto projectors. A complete kit will run you $350.00. Check out theretrofitsource.com for parts and prices. I had a place called sickhid.com retrofit mine for $580.00 total. Most other places wanted $1000.00 +.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Thanks freyes, I will look into that.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

let me know if you want to sell, Im local and can pick em up
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Grabber where at? I'm in Queens. I had my bodyshop guy install it, what he did was splice wires into the original harness. I will post pictures up later on.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:10 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Im in staten island, not to far. and yes if you can post pics that would be great. I am almost 100% doing this next since it was the only option I wish my car had
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Sorry for the delay, been preoccupied recently.

no flash

Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Some more pictures. Crappy iPhone pics, I know.

I feel like they should be brighter for some reason. Can members with their OEM HIDs post pics up to verify/confirm this??
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

how bout post the line of it hitting a wall?
if your above a certain height the hid's should barely make any blinding light
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

My factory HIDs don't look like that at all, mine have a tint of blue in them, those pictures make them look like he just put halogen bulbs in and made it work or something.

Quick Reply: Is the harness needed for the OEM HIDs?