Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant get in car..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 AM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

Default cant get in car..

ok, so, go out to my car this morning and it wont unlock with the fob. and the key doesnt work for the door. the trunk unlocks, but idk if you can go through the trunk on these cars. im thinking the battery is dead on the car for some reason, i didnt leave the lights on last night, but idk. does the fob loose its memory if the battery dies?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Wait a minute. You can't use the key to unlock the door? I don't know where you are in texas but I assume that it's not freezing cold, so I don't see why you can't unlock the door. The FOB shouldn't lose it's memory like that because my battery has died twice and I have not yet had to reprogram the FOB. If you don't have a convertible you should be able to push down the seats from the trunk and climb through, btw.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

yeah, its not freezing. and idk whats up with the door lock. guess i should have tried it after i bought the thing. good to know the keyfob doesnt loosethe memory. battery of the car must be dead some how..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Well you wont be able to crawl through the trunk because the seats lock from the inside. I'm not sure if they made the latch accessible through the back. Pop the trunk and see if you can see the latch on the back seat, you may have to feel around with your hand for it.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

got it unlock. was able to fish the pull handle through to the back. battery wasnt dead on the car. idk what happened, but i reprogrammed the keyfob to the car and it works now. could the keyfob loose memory if next to a magnet. i use a moneyclip instead of a wallet and its magnetic..
Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM
BLACK BETTY12
1st Gear Member

So you don't have your key and fod together?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The key should work, even if the car HAD no battery. There's nothing electrical that would prevent the key from mechanically unlocking the door. WTF's up with that?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 PM
JimC

If you don't use the lock periodically it gets gunked up. But the locksmith told me not to use the graphite and such on it because that will just build up and make it not work, since we tend not to use the key today. He said use WD40 because it cleans it and takes out water at the same time.

(learned this while waiting for him to make a key on the spot to open my trunk when I locked my keys in the trunk one day - was talking to a client on my cell phone, removed my suit jacket and tossed it in the trunk, and just as the trunk lock clicked I realized the keys were in that suit coat pocket. Can't get into the trunk from inside in a convertible)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It's possible select locks were changed. I had the option to carry around 2 keys or pony up the extra money to have a matching set. By the amount of money I spent, I have to say most people would most likely just change what they need to.

And I have heard of fobs and keys becoming deprogrammed. Last I heard was a key sitting to close to one of those beepers you get at a restaurant when waiting and it somehow wiped it.

Last edited by alkemist; 01-19-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
McDirty
1st Gear Member

In almost three years I've never used the key in the door. Always used the fob to disarm the alarm first. Gonna try it now just to see if it works if the fob doesn't.

In another car I had the door lock motor froze on the driver's side. It was weather related. The passenger side worked so I climbed in through there. After I told my wife she asked why I didn't just use the key. I felt like such an idiot for not thinking of that. Of course that side of the car was covered in a sheet of ice so even if I did it may still have taken a lot of work to get in on that side.

I'm just going to guess that the majority of people don't even think about putting the key in the door anymore unless it's a car without power locks, power locks that don't work and haven't been fixed or one of those Hondas that only locks with the key so you can't locking the keys inside.

Quick Reply: cant get in car..