Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 03:54 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

And don't bother looking for a button near your shifter. It doesnt exist in a manual.

Lastly, I don't remember what years Ford did this, but some Mustangs had a key release near the ignition switch. You had to press that small lever forwards or pull backwards gently on it to put the ignition switch fully in the off position. Until your ignition is in the off position you can't remove the key. Maybe look for that near your ignition switch. It was designed to be used with one hand on the right side of the steering column. Pretty small lever too that you'd use one finger for on your right hand.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

my wife's chrysler 300 wouldn't come out of park, because a piece in the shifter had broken off. After taking the shifter apart and putting it back together, I then couldn't get the key out of the ignition. There is a safety device on the chrysler that pulls a cable when the car is placed in park, which allows you to remove the key. If they cable is to tight, then the key won't come out. I had to adjust the cable and the key popped right out. Also disconnecting the battery allowed the key to come out, because the solenoid that pulls the cable lost power.

At least you can get yours out of park and drive home, she couldn't.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Andrew Palmer

At least you can get yours out of park and drive home, she couldn't.
my car wont turn on, i can get it out of park but i cant drive it any where haha.
Lastly, I don't remember what years Ford did this, but some Mustangs had a key release near the ignition switch.
i knew about the release switch, which will operate as it normally would, but it wont let my key go like normal. Im going to try using a bit more force with my brakes and steering wheel and ill see if it helps.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Andrew Palmer

Got it! So apparently i had my igniition swith turned too far towards me. I twisted the base of the ignition towards the dash one position, pushed the key release, and the key came out. thanks for the help.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Dylan Bolden

Default similar problem

So i've had my 2014 V6 standard transmission about a year now and no problems with it up until now. Recently inspected too. Yesterday the car worked flawlessly and no issues. Head to the gym today and turn off the car and key only partially comes out (~1/4 inch). I've done just about every method of turning the wheel, brake and reverse things that have helped other people but to no avail. The key still goes all the way in and can start the car. Can go all the way to off as well and start to come out, but then stops. Drove all the way home and shifted between each gear just to make sure and still no luck when i got home. Anyone have any ideas?