Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Key stuck in ignition

Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Default Key stuck in ignition

Car will start. I cannot remove the key. Tried lowering steering wheel, turning side to side...won't come out.. Car is 2007 with 40 k miles... Any suggestions??
Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Is your car an automatic?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Is your car an automatic?
Yes-automatic..... It's like the key won't fully go to lock position...is it safe to spray wd40 in there?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Ok, I have found this to be a pretty common problem with the stock automatic shifter. This is how you get the keys out:

On the right side of the shifter bezel you see a small flat button. Push that button down as far as it goes and at the same time turn your key. If that does not work do the same thing again but this time push forward on the shifter. This will let you get your key out.

Here is a pic of the button.

If that still does not work PM me and I will give you my cell # and I'll walk you threw it on the phone.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 01-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM
mtbker29
3rd Gear Member

Did you guys get the key out?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtbker29
Did you guys get the key out?
I had the same issue once, I had to put the car back in drive and then to park. For some reason it didn't engage park the first time and I was unable to get the key out.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I've had a similar problem with putting the car into drive/reverse... Almost like the shifter likes to hang in the dead space between the gears.

Now I just wiggle it to make sure it's engaged before I do anything. These shifters were made with appallingly bad tolerances.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Is your steering wheel turned hard or to the turn stops? I've seen where a key wouldn't come out of the cylinder until steering wheel pressure against the steering lock mechanism was relieved.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Andrew Palmer

I have a 2003 Mustang that I just bought last weekend. WE got it back from a repair shop that we trust and he assured me that there are no problems. when i parked my car in my driveway and turned the car off, it wouldnt let me remove the key. i cant take it out or turn the car on. i can still use the clutch and shift gears but cant get the keys out. brake pedal is locked up and so is the steering wheel, but i can turn the steering wheel a little to the left. i was thinking about releasing the e-brake and letting it roll down my driveway in neutral to see if it might help but i didnt think it would be to good of an idea as my brake pedal is locked and so is my steering wheel. any ideas on what i should do? 2003 mustang (base model) 99 k miles, 5 speed man. trans
thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 03:50 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Palmer
I have a 2003 Mustang that I just bought last weekend. WE got it back from a repair shop that we trust and he assured me that there are no problems. when i parked my car in my driveway and turned the car off, it wouldnt let me remove the key. i cant take it out or turn the car on. i can still use the clutch and shift gears but cant get the keys out. brake pedal is locked up and so is the steering wheel, but i can turn the steering wheel a little to the left. i was thinking about releasing the e-brake and letting it roll down my driveway in neutral to see if it might help but i didnt think it would be to good of an idea as my brake pedal is locked and so is my steering wheel. any ideas on what i should do? 2003 mustang (base model) 99 k miles, 5 speed man. trans
thanks
Even though you don't have power to your brakes, you still have brakes. You just have to push a lot harder. When you say your brake pedal is locked, that doesnt make sense to me. Even off, you can still apply hard pressure to work the brakes.

When I've had this happen in a manual, everytime it was because of being close to the steering lock. Turn the wheel harder in both directions while trying to make sure you're definitely in the off position then remove your key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition