Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default Driveshaft question

Does the 05-09 have a cv joint in the two piece drive shaft? Slip joint?

I'm still racking my brain trying to figure out the loud clanking noise my car is making. I can really get it clanking if I get in a parking lot and do tight circles quickly. I am almost positive it is something in the drivetrain because I cannot get it to do it when coasting.

Please help me diagnose this.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

No, there is a cv joint from the drive shaft to the tranny and one from the driveshaft to the diff. It is a carrier bearing or center support bearing in the middle.

Possibly the bearing making noise. To check the u joint park the car and lift the front up with the parking brake on and jiggle the driveshaft and see if their is any play there should be NONE

Hope this helps.

Also. Google image search stock mustang driveshaft and you'll see
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I have jiggled most everything under the car, but I still cannot discover what could be making the noises.

Last edited by thewarmachine; 01-18-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I took the stang to the dealer this morning, and they called to tell me they had ordered a new driveshaft. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Saturday I decided to take my aftermarket exhaust off and reinstall the stock parts. One reason is that I didn't want extra labor charges from the dealer, and another reason is that I just want the car to be quieter. It was not a good day. I was under the car for 6 hours!

Here is the sequence of events:
-take off muffler brackets and mufflers
-grind/hacksaw two spot welds holding my Borla over-axle pipes to the Bassani X-pipe (kept it from sliding out)
-took off Bassani X-pipe
-tried to install stock H-pipe, but, for some idiotic reason, the header studs on my BBK shorties do not match the holes in the stock H-pipe's brackets
-finally found drill bits big enough to ream out the bracket holes and after two drilling experiences, got the holes big enough
-installed H-pipe and struggled to get that one O2 sensor plugged
-I laid across the top of the engine bay with my left arm jammed behind the engine from the side and my right hand jammed behind the engine from the top and finally reached the O2 plugs and connected them (taking the battery out didn't work because one screw on the battery box was stripped and corroded)
-installed stock over-axle pipes (I thought maybe the Borla pipes with their more gradual bends might be contacting the axle and causing the noise)
-struggled to install the stock mufflers since the bolts for the muffler brackets are so hard to get to with the mufflers blocking
-finally got all the stock parts bolted up tightly with no leaks

Then after all that, the noise was still there, so I was considerably frustrated. If I never see the underside of this car again, I'll be a happy man.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

We have all been there dude. Glad you got it all back in. Don't ever do long tube headers. Lol
Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Stupid Ford!!! They replaced my driveshaft. The car not only makes the same noise as before, but now there is a new squeaking bird-like noise. They must not test drive ANYTHING!!! Before or after!

I took it right back, and told them to fix it for real this time. This is why I hate the dealership. I have been without my car since Monday. IDIOTS!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

You have the Roush suspension, did you replace the stock GT front strut mounts?

Also, are you getting the clanking when you are accelerating, or just when you are kinda feathering the throttle and doing tight circles.

If it feels like it's coming from the rear it could be some worn out bushings.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 02-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:26 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

It is definitely drivetrain related.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Yup, when I had my trans synchros replaced cuz I thought the 07-08 synchro tsb applied to me, the repair bill said they test drove it and it was fixed. Funny because it felt exactly the same as when I dropped it off. Some redline atf helped that issue.

As for your squeaking noise, kind of related, kind of unrelated. On my Ranger, the u-joint right after the front driveshaft comes out of the t-case is making a high pitched squeaking "bird-like" noise, that only happens when my hubs are engaged. It's because the bearings in the u-joint dried out, and now I'm going to get them replaced. So my guess is maybe something wasn't properly greased on the install? Not sure.

Good luck man, dealing with the dealer can be a pain. They had my car for about two weeks for the transmission. You can bet how disappointed I was when I got in the car and not only was the clutch laying on the floor with no pressure, when I pumped it back up second gear felt exactly the same.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Took the stang back to Ford today and gave the technician a ride. I made sure that he heard the ratcheting sound and the squawking sound. I have to get this thing fixed. I have a feeling that I have a new transmission or clutch coming.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft question