Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

We will see. I told the service guy to make sure they looked at the flywheel and clutch while they had it torn down. Hopefully they are sick enough of seeing my car that they will try harder to diagnose the problem.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I got my Mustang back today. It is finally fixed. No more noises. I guess the new synchro's and bearings in the transmission did the trick. I only wish I had made a recording of the sounds it used to make for the benefit of others who might be having the same problem. Now, I need to find the time to put my MAC flowpath mufflers back on. The Bassani X-pipe will remain in the barn.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

i had a similar problem with my transmisiion. it got so bad before they fixed it (the first time) that it would grin into 2nd so bad half the time it would jump back out and i would have to go straight to 3rd. they fixed the syncro in 2nd and 3rd, thought everything was great, then two weeks later i was at a gas station backing into a pump when it stayed in reverse, turns out the shift rails were also broken but they never fixed it. after they had to pay for towing and also a brand new tranny i wouldnt let them rebuild it, it was finally fixed (for now)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:18 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

New issue: When in 1st gear, if I depress clutch and then let it out, it pops out of 1st gear. Perhaps my shift linkage or shifter needs to be adjusted. Oh well....back to Ford Monday morning....
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

More synchronizers ordered as well as a couple more parts.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

OMG......it just keeps getting worse and worse. Damn dude, I am sorry. Thank God your still in warranty.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
New issue: When in 1st gear, if I depress clutch and then let it out, it pops out of 1st gear. Perhaps my shift linkage or shifter needs to be adjusted. Oh well....back to Ford Monday morning....
Hi thewarmachine,

Let me see what I can do on my end. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact and I'll have the Customer Service Manager review your concern.

Noemi
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Wow, the dealer *thought* they heard a noise from my trans/shifter and installed a complete replacement. Crazy they'd spend the time tearing it down over and over...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
Does the 05-09 have a cv joint in the two piece drive shaft? Slip joint?

I'm still racking my brain trying to figure out the loud clanking noise my car is making. I can really get it clanking if I get in a parking lot and do tight circles quickly. I am almost positive it is something in the drivetrain because I cannot get it to do it when coasting.

Please help me diagnose this.
Are you doing these tight circles with the clutch engaged or disengaged? I fail to see how synchros will cause a clanking sound while turning. Slow speed turn noise is almost always the rear differential. Mine will make a clanking while turning slow, but only if the clutch is disengaged. It does it every morning when I'm turning the wheel, while coming to a stop to back into my parking space, but if the clutch is engaged(load on the drive line), then it doesn't make the noise.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

moosestang, it must have been the sunchronizers because it is completely remedied of that clanking noise since the synchro replacements. I guess it could have been a bearing in the trans also.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft question