Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRIVER side water leak, see pics......

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Default DRIVER side water leak, see pics......

Well, after I thought i was done with leaks, my driver side starts leaking.......so effin demotivating. But before you guys post read this TSB, look at where it is entering, I don't think it has anything to do with grommets.
Note the shots are above the driver side kick panel for those of you who will not recognize the area.

Any ideas would be welcome, I didn't find much on the drivers side leak on the internet.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Very interesting... Don't think I've seen water come through there before. Is it a lot of just dripping like shown in the picture? If its just leaking around the black piece I would just seal it up!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

ideally you would want to find out where the water is coming from. My guess would be from the cowl or possibly a leaky window seal.

you could just seal up that spot, but you still have water getting inside to that area. could lead to rust issues down the road.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

I want to possibly figure out where it is entering, but the problem is, there is no way to get inside that cavity to see, even if you pull the fender. Im trying to get to my grommets just for the heck of it, but I am struggling to get the passenger side windshield wiper off to take of the cowl cover.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Very interesting... Don't think I've seen water come through there before. Is it a lot of just dripping like shown in the picture? If its just leaking around the black piece I would just seal it up!
It collects enough to wet the carpet, so unfortunately that is unacceptable haha.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

The cowls under the window would be the first place I would look. Perhaps take a pressure washer to each area it could possibly be and systematically eliminate each possible entry point. Post back with where it is coming from and we might have a better idea.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Well I got some interesting shots a minute ago, finally got the wiper off.....what a biotch it was, but I am uploading photos atm, give me a few min.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Ok so pulling the cowl cover off it managed to grab the outermost grommet with it, I decided to take a light and shine it straight into the grommet hole to see if it shines through anywhere near the leak area, and what do you know? It did.

The pictures that are all black were taken while pointing my phone camera towards the area where my leak is coming in, you can see the light shining through. So apparently the driver side grommets lead to the area somewhat different than the passenger side.

Should I get new grommets and seal them, or just seal the old ones?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I hope you figure out where its coming from because I have the same issue on my driver side.
Took care of the passenger leak, but there is still a puddle every time it rains in my rear driver side floorboard. I know mine leaks along the weatherstripping on the door, but I don't think enough water is coming through to account for the water I'm seeing.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I hope you figure out where its coming from because I have the same issue on my driver side.
Took care of the passenger leak, but there is still a puddle every time it rains in my rear driver side floorboard. I know mine leaks along the weatherstripping on the door, but I don't think enough water is coming through to account for the water I'm seeing.
Did you replace the grommets on the driver side?

Quick Reply: DRIVER side water leak, see pics......