Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbocharged

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM
westcoastGT

Smile turbocharged

i am looking into an STS turbo setup for my mustang,to many have a supercharger and i rather the turbo concept. i was wondering where would be my best place to get it from. if anyone could help me out it be appreciated,thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by westcoastGT
i am looking into an STS turbo setup for my mustang,to many have a supercharger and i rather the turbo concept. i was wondering where would be my best place to get it from. if anyone could help me out it be appreciated,thanks
Theres a reason most people go supercharged.
But if youre so interested in turbos. Lethalperformance offers a Hellion Turbo kit for 05-09 Gts. I order most of my parts from them.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

and that would be?

I started with a supercharger (Procharger) on the 06GT and then swapped to a turbocharger. Both were very good and very reliable. Pros and cons with each. No belt issues with turbos...lol.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve

and that would be?

I started with a supercharger (Procharger) on the 06GT and then swapped to a turbocharger. Both were very good and very reliable. Pros and cons with each. No belt issues with turbos...lol.
It seems like on Mustangs, superchargers are just easier and more shops install them than turbos. Nothing against turbos.
I have the 4pc idlers on my Cobra, no belt issues either lol.
I know you had the badass turbo GT. But it seems like no one even near my area installs turbos on mustangs, I never even see turbo Mustangs around here.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06gtdamon
I never even see turbo Mustangs around here.
Hence the appeal to people like me. I'm not sold on turbos just yet but I'm still researching.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

seems like no one even near my area installs turbos on mustangs, I never even see turbo Mustangs around here.

...and that certainly is a valid consideration.

The forced induction choice for me, would be determined by the available tuning expertise. No turbo tuning experts = no turbo. There are a few of us in our area that have gone the similar turbo route with the same speed shop for tuning and data logging at the racing site. In fact, the speed shop sponsored my car and eventually took it over.

I'm not sold on turbos just yet but I'm still researching

Sometimes following a path less travelled is alluring and doing thorough research is always a good plan

Last edited by forensicsteve; 01-20-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you want to go turbo don't even think about the STS setup. It' junk and you would be throwing your money away. Give Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower 505-220-2988 a call, he can answer all you questions and fix you up with a great kit.

Earl
Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
If you want to go turbo don't even think about the STS setup. It' junk and you would be throwing your money away. Give Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower 505-220-2988 a call, he can answer all you questions and fix you up with a great kit.

Earl
I had one and I wouldn't call it junk at all. What I would say is it is not a good kit for drag strip racing. Spool up time was great, fit and finish good too, I didn't have the oiling problems people said I would have. The problem with the kit is you are limited on the size of the return line for incoming air and the size and type of turbo you can put.back there. After I built the motor, the turbo just couldn't keep up with the demands of the motor. On the street it was awesome, on the track, not so much. If I had an automatic, it probably would have performed better.

You will need to source a custom tune for the car. Regardless of what STS says, it will need custom tuning.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

my experience with sts was horrible! Do not buy from them. Their product, while great in theory, is flawed by design. No matter how good simon1's experience was, the oil return system IS NOT RELIABLE FOR DAILY DRIVING! The oil return is the weak link. PERIOD! Customer support is horrible, and sts does not support their warranty. No returns, no refunds, no support, no exceptions. My car spent the better part of three months mostly on jackstands while tech support tried to figure out why the return pump continually would fail under NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS. Now I have $8500 worth of turbos and piping taking up space in the basement. If you want all the gory details, I can provide them.

on the plus side, spool up is FAST, and horsepower won't disappoint. I had my car dyno'd on a club dyno day when I was still in the tuning process and still had some faith in the product, and it laid down 426whp on a tune too rich to register on the dyno op's wideband. The twin turbo setup is easily capable of 475whp at 7 psi.

like yourself, I would rather go turbo, but there are better setups available. I've been talking with a tuner that will build me a custom, underhood TT setup with what I have leftover from STS. Please choose another route!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with turbos or superchargers. For me, I went supercharger because I do my own install work and it's just easier to install a supercharger. Also, I've found over the years that tuning bugs are easier worked out with a supercharger, but each person's experience will differ. What worries me about the sts is the location of the intake filter. If it's a daily driver, I'd be very cautious about driving when it's at all wet outside.