Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60' times. What's yours and how did you achieve it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

1.41 short time

qa1 adjustable all around
hoosier full slicks and skinnies
spooled rearend
9 inch rear to hold everything together
3 speed 4r70w + transbrake

(and using someone skinny with experienced reflexes that knows what they are doing with a transbrake, and can pass the physical to get the race license.)

Last edited by forensicsteve; 01-31-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How are you guys dumping the clutch at only 3000-4000 and not bogging the crap out of those cars? If you dead hook that just sounds like a huge recipe for bog city.

Later this summer I'll be taking mine out for the first time on track tires. I have the stock clutch and 400whp. I am definitely a little freaked out about 2nd gear clutch dumps (for the burnout) and also on how to launch the car. I have some concerns that the clutch may not even last a few passes before I destroy it if I am that hard on it.

Last edited by Riptide; 01-31-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

The one time that I did go to the track last year, my first run I pulled a 2.01 60ft time with 275/40/17 Sumitomo's from AM.com. That was just an off-idle pull and 32psi in the tires. 2nd gear was spinning so bad, I decided to lower the air to 25lbs. This made my 60ft time go to 2.1 but cut down my 2nd gear spin outs a lot.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
1.41 short time

qa1 adjustable all around
hoosier full slicks and skinnies
spooled rearend
9 inch rear to hold everything together
3 speed 4r70w + transbrake

(and using someone skinny with experienced reflexes that knows what they are doing with a transbrake, and can pass the physical to get the race license.)
You don't count, lol. J/k, but I'm pretty sure you have a bit more extreme ride than most of the forum members. I wasn't aware that you had to pass a physical to get a race license. A friend of mine is almost into the 9s in a full weight '11 GT500. I'll have to meet up with you at no problem one day. I want a heads up when that monster gets out of surgery.

Also, do you visit calloutsnola or nostreetracing? I'm not a street racer (ever) but I visit both sites pretty often and there are some serious machines roaming the streets of new orleans.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
How are you guys dumping the clutch at only 3000-4000 and not bogging the crap out of those cars? If you dead hook that just sounds like a huge recipe for bog city.

Later this summer I'll be taking mine out for the first time on track tires. I have the stock clutch and 400whp. I am definitely a little freaked out about 2nd gear clutch dumps (for the burnout) and also on how to launch the car. I have some concerns that the clutch may not even last a few passes before I destroy it if I am that hard on it.
I've done over a hundred 2nd gear clutch dumps right out of the wet box and the tranny hasn't complained (yet). As for launching at 4k, I believe the combination of a twin disc clutch and bias ply tires provides just enough "give" to keep me from bogging or spinning. I launchat 4k, but as soon as the clutch pedal comes up, the gas pedal hits the floor. I'm also making about 100 more hp than you which could be keeping me from bogging.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 02-04-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

TBH I'm not so much concerned about the tranny itself - just the stock clutch. I've been told 2nd gear dumps are a great way to spin a clutch.

Do you think a 285/40/18 drag radial will be enough tire to dead hook @ 400whp with a 5000rpm clutch dump? Just looking for opinions, I realize nobody can give me answers with 100% certainty and in the end it's up to me to figure the car out on my own.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

TBH I'm not so much concerned about the tranny itself - just the stock clutch. I've been told 2nd gear dumps are a great way to spin a clutch.

Do you think a 285/40/18 drag radial will be enough tire to dead hook @ 400whp with a 5000rpm clutch dump? Just looking for opinions, I realize nobody can give me answers with 100% certainty and in the end it's up to me to figure the car out on my own.
You're eventually going to lose that stock clutch regardless of how you burnout/launch. With that tire and RPM, I suspect you'll spin if you dump the clutch unless the track prep is phenomenal. Honestly, I think with drag radials and a stock clutch, you're going to have to experiment with slipping the clutch at different RPMs before you get solid 60' times. My first time to the track, I was spinning like crazy every time I left the line. The second time I went, I started off launching at idle and then raised the RPM with each run until I started to spin. Then I experimented with slipping the clutch and playing with tire pressure until I got the combination that worked. It can take several trips to the track and dozens of runs before you get it where you want it. Another bit of advice I can give you is to ignore reaction time until you are comfortable with your car.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I'll have to meet up with you at no problem one day. I want a heads up when that monster gets out of surgery.

Look forward to that

do you visit calloutsnola or nostreetracing? I'm not a street racer (ever) but I visit both sites pretty often and there are some serious machines roaming the streets of new orleans.

No...but I'll check them out. Thanks.
I am interested in that new raceway being built in Avondale. Must be close to opening. Do you know anything about it?

Last edited by forensicsteve; 02-01-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

FWIW... My first track visit was last Oct. and after 5 runs, I was unable to get any decent launches with my stock tires as I was always breaking loose at launch and could muster up a couple low 2 sec. 60ft times.

Then a couple weeks later, I returned with some M&H drag radials (275/45/18). My first burnout/launch resulted in some excellent traction, but my stock clutch was not very happy and slipped/smoked a bit. I tried one more run and it slipped really bad during the launch, so I called it a day before toasting it completely as I was 75 miles from home. I have a new clutch/flywheel sitting in the garage (Exedy Mach 500) and will start over again in the spring as I know it will take a lot of seat time to acheive some good 60 ft times.

Last edited by Doogie65; 02-01-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
I know it will take a lot of seat time to acheive some good 60 ft times.
That right there is the name of the game. Good luck with the new setup. Let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply: 60' times. What's yours and how did you achieve it?