Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spoiler / tape question, help request

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Question spoiler / tape question, help request

i'm hoping somebody can point me in a good direction.

i'm searching for a doublesided tape in order to attach a spoiler (v6 style, shelby style, etc) to the lid in addition to the existing screws/holes. these spoilers do need some tape/cushion in order to keep them proper in place and away from the lids paint.
BUT I WANT SOMETHING THAT IS SOMEWHAT EASY TO TAKE OFF AGAIN AND DOES NO HARM (IN USE OR TAKE-OFF) TO THE TRUNK LID PAINT!
THAT'S THE ISSUE.

now as many know the orig tape is a b$#$h to take off. a little while ago i purchased a v6 spoiler from a forum member, i like the look better than the stock gt wing, but i want to be able to switch back with not too much effort.
when i got the v6 take off spoiler it still had plenty of the tape underneath, it came off with some effort and a little damage (underneath=not visible when installed) with the 3m tape wheel. i would not want to have to use that on my trunk lid as in case of a re-install of the wing the area would be well visible.

so back to the question, does anyone know a tape to use that can be taken off again with little effort and no chance of paint damage?

and yes, in a perfect world i'd do a spoiler delete, but i never saw a way i liked short of welding the holes shut and repaint.

any help, suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

3m is the only way to go. Would you rather use unreliable tape that could cause damage when the wing flies off or have to spend time removing residue if you chose a different route down the road? I know it's frustrating but it's worth it.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

just fyi, i had the v6 wing on with all screws and only a few spots of cushion tape. its not gonna fly away but the tape spots were not enough to keep it off the lid entirely thus causing minor paint damage (can and will be polished out).
so the main reason i want way more tape is to keep a cushion and avoid movement between spoiler and lid/paint.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I know it won't literally fly off (I'm not an idiot, lol) but if it's not held in place properly it will do exactly what you're suggesting and scratch your deck to hell. This is why people use 3m tape. Hopefully someone else can suggest other means but not using 3m tape just seems, for lack of a better word, dumb. Get your hands on some goo-gone and just install the spoiler or have the holes welded and painted. I couldn't stand my stock wing so I took it off, beat it to hell and welded/painted my holes shut for a spoiler delete. I did an emblem delete at the same time for ~$400 so I'm sure it could be had for ~$200. (screaming yellow is not an easy paint to work with)
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

when i got the v6 spoiler i tried googone and a few other things, made a mess but the tape did barely budge, i just assume it was the factory tape, who knows, maybe not. the 3m wheel did the job though.

anyways, on the 3m website are a number of different tapes, sizes, thickness.
http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/attachment-tapes
do you know which one is stock or which is recommended?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure, I usually go with 1/2" width attachment tape. It's currently holding up my rear decklid panel/GT faux gas cap and soon to be aiding in my Roush chin spoiler and rocker panels. Just make sure the surface is very clean, use 90% alcohol to wipe it down prior to application and adhesion promoter is not a bad idea either. I also apply pressure for at least a minute or two after I put the part into place. My parts are still there and I high pressure wash the car weekly during the winter.

As far as the goo-gone is concerned, I let that stuff saturate for an hour or two and then went to town...still was tough to get off. Removing the tape holding a spoiler is NOTHING compared to removing the residue holding from removing the faux gas cap! lol

Last edited by bakerjd; 01-28-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

3m tape, the red stuff. Most auto parts stores carry it.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

It's the "grey stuff" 808...the black acrylic tape is also wrapped in red.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Thats right, my bad. I have used both. I'm getting old and starting to forget sh#t! LOL