Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eleanor grill fitment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Default Eleanor grill fitment issues?

I've wanted an Eleanor grill since day 1... finally pulled the trigger. Quality is very good... Searched the boards for installation tips (some good ones out there) and started off... Checked out American Muscle's installation guide.. looked extremely plug and play..

Getting the tabs out of the bumper cover was a little tough.. I think mainly because it was in the low 40s outside and the plastic was a bit stiff.

The bottom one on the sides was tough to get too. Even tough to see in this picture (I always try and detail the engine bay, all this dirt was under the radiator shroud cover)...

Two quick down and dirty tools helped.. The closed end of the angle iron for a pry bar to pop out the tab, and some round stock hammered into a pick was very helpful...

To get to the bottom tabs, I had to pull the valance out from the bottom of the bumper and do from underneath.. Actually easy to do and lots of wiggle room from the bottom.. Simply used a small screwdriver to pry the "flap" from the tab..

Again.. don't think any of this would have been necessary on a warmer day.. I had the grill in and out about 6 times, and the last few were every easy...

All cleaned up.. I inspected everything very well for any damage.. no signs of any past accidents at all.. no overspray.. all looks very factory...

Noticed that the fog lights were contacting the crossmember a good inch or more before any tabs were ready to pop in...

The fix was extremely easy... just clearanced the crossmember for the vent (driver side is the present limiting factor for the grill)..

Ground into the tabs for clearance. And all this was used. I was a MORON and ground too far... I'll probably go score another light bucket and do this one again.. :eyeroll:

Passenger side went together well.. Just bend the crossmember with vise grips.. little touch up paint and ground on the tab...

The vent on the driver side is still touching the crossmember... It should go in about another 1/8", but I was able to get the radiator shroud cover back on with a little force..

Totally dig the look...

I'm 100% not complaining... Wasn't much effort to make work... but I'm a bit worried in that it seams everyone else's were plug and play... It certainly don't look like my Mustang was in any accident... nothing showed up on Carfax when I bought it...

Anyone else run into this????
Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Looks good! I love mine!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Clearance is tight with mine but I had no issues when installing it and ever since
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Mine had the grill when I bought it, I love it. I had to mess with one of the harness extensions because it wasn't clicked all the way together and the foglight would flick on and off.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Mine is a 3d Carbon Eleanor grill. It fit perfectly. You can tell the difference between brands by the fogs. They are closer together on the 3d one.

Yours looks great, glad you Macguiver'd it in.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Had no issues with mine. Hopefully things start working out for you.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Yeah forgot to say I needed the fog light wiring harness extenders also
Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
NateKR

Ive been wanting one of these grilles since I bought my car! The only thing stopping me is I live in the mountains and almost everytime it rains its foggy and I use my lights everytime. Will the grille effect the way the fog lights shine any? Will they still light the road like they do in the factory location?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NateKR
Ive been wanting one of these grilles since I bought my car! The only thing stopping me is I live in the mountains and almost everytime it rains its foggy and I use my lights everytime. Will the grille effect the way the fog lights shine any? Will they still light the road like they do in the factory location?
Won't change a thing
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NateKR

Fogs work great. I drive with them on everytime I'm in the car at night. Without them the road seems very dark.