Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should it cost to rebuild a 5r55s?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Default How much should it cost to rebuild a 5r55s?

I am not even sure what the problem is exactly. I personally have been thinking it's a bad solenoid pack based on some other people's experiences I have read about online.

The dealership said they think it's a bad band but all they did was test drive the car, didn't open up the transmission or anything.

They wanted like $3k to rebuild it including labor. Seems like way too much to me.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

i doubt i can be of too much help, either way, i would think a more detailed description of what the transmission is doing or not doing might help to narrow it down further by someone, along with current milage, driving habits, expectations, i. e. dd or drag racing.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

get a quote from a transmission specialty shop
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

On the 2-3 shift it's having a delayed shift. It wants to wait til 3000-3500 before it shifts.

I used to race the car quite a bit including at the drag strip, but for the past 3-4 months I have not driven the car much and have not raced it.

The day this all started happening I did go near-WOT once which was the first time in a while... this may be what pushed it over the edge.

I had the transmission fluid changed and this did not resolve the issue. Took it in for diagnosis today to the dealership and they said based on the way it's shifting they think it's a bad band in the transmission.

The overdrive light has also began to flash intermittently (once it starts flashing it doesn't stop until you turn off the car). This does not happen every time you drive the car (although if you drive it long/far enough I believe it will come on every time)

I read online about someone having an identical issue with an Explorer that had the 5r55s and apparently it was a bad solenoid.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Mine was ~$2300 with a new converter. Didn't cut any corners either
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Sounds more like damaged servos, which could also have damaged bands.
The servos are easy to replace (relatively), but if bands are fried, well, its "toast" and would require rebuilding or replacing. But, don't use all stock parts if doing so!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like there is no way around spending a lot of money

I think I am just going to get rid of the car. I really don't want to but it's just becoming more and more of a hassle.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
Sounds like there is no way around spending a lot of money

I think I am just going to get rid of the car. I really don't want to but it's just becoming more and more of a hassle.
i know it allways sucks to find out that an expensive part needs to be replaced, take some time to think about/consider your options.

frankly, while i don't know the milage i wouldn't expect a basic unaltered, non re-inforced transmission to go through drag racing, hard driving etc without additional wear, thats clearly not the intended use of a street vehicle.
so don't be mad at the car or ford, comes with the territory.

if you want to sell/trade it you probably should get it in running/working order someway.

i'm not familiar with the servos and their possible issues, maybe you find some additional info on these by searching this forum, i have a little experience with older transmissions, c4, c6, aod.

as an initial first step i would also have changed the oil as you did (worked on my 89 crown vic, added 3 more years of dd). did you check it? did it smell burned? was it dirty/resedue? did you change the filter too?

now i think rebuilding the tranny apparently between 2 and 3k sounds about right, then you would know where you stand with it and have a warranty, might differ between say the transmission shop and the official ford dealer, hence the price difference.
for "regular" use i believe ford might be the better option, for racing, drag racing a specialized/experienced transmission shop might be able to build in some upgrades better (and add a dipstick).

i see trannys on ebay between $400 and $1000, some have warranty some don't, consider shipping costs. the local pick-n-pull etc might be a possibility too.
BUT these warranties may replace the part but installation, oil etc will be on you, not sure it you can/want to do that and take the risk of doing it twice (or more).
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Just rebuild it with stronger parts dont sell..
Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

You could pick up a used one foe a decent price then sell or keep the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much should it cost to rebuild a 5r55s?