Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10 gear help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 AM
jwt06gt

Default 4.10 gear help!

I am about to have my rear housing replaced with a new one do to problems with the old one. I asked the ford house if when they put the new one in if they could put in a set of 4.10 gears i have since they will have everything apart already. They told me it would cost about an extra 300.00 to put the 4.10 gears in cause the new housing will already be set up to take my 3.55 gears and they will fit right in without having to be set up. Does this sound right?? I thought they would still have to set up the 3.55 gears cause they are taking it out of my old rear end and going into the new one???
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I don't see any reason why they couldn't. I mean if the new rear end already had gears in it then yeah, but if they're swapping out your old gears, then that's kind of weird. That is if I'm understanding this right.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

What is a Ford House?

Ford dealers would likely order a whole new rear end, which comes completely assembled with gears, so they will have to tear it apart and install the 4.10's. They have to replace the pinion gear at the very least and re-shim the carrier.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 PM
jwt06gt

the ford house is what i call the ford dealership near me. they said they are going to order just the rear housing cause that is the only problem they can see wrong, and there going to use my gears to put in the housing. so they wouldnt have to reshim it and set it all up in the new housing?? they can just put the gears in and its good to go??
Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

You should just go find a reputable mustang shop to do your work. Having the dealership do a rear end job is just asking for trouble. Not to mention you don't want to reuse old gears if you are tearing it all apart. The pattern is already set and if they don't make an exact match, it will create more problems. Last thing you want to do is join the gear whine club.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwt06gt
the ford house is what i call the ford dealership near me. they said they are going to order just the rear housing cause that is the only problem they can see wrong, and there going to use my gears to put in the housing. so they wouldnt have to reshim it and set it all up in the new housing?? they can just put the gears in and its good to go??
It doesn't work that way.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM
jwt06gt

Well the reason I'm using the ford house is cause the insurance is paying for all this. And what do you mean it don't work that way? How does it work?? I would figure if you take my gears out of my rear end now you would have to make sure they would be set up right in the new rear end or am I missing something?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Moosestang explained it. They would have to unbolt parts off the differential and put it back together, reshim etc... It wouldn't be following stock procedures. That's why it cost extra. I just had a guy install an Eaton truetrac on my car and assisted him along the way. There is a lot going on down there. Which is why I didn't perform the work.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 AM
jwt06gt

I'm still confused and don't see where anyone explained it to me lol. So they don't have to set up my stock gears in the new housing?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:03 AM
jwt06gt

And they are not buying me a whole new rear end, they are just buying the housing and it will be empty as far as I know, so they will have to take my gears out of my old rear end and put them in the new one but will they have to set them up or not? Cause I think they will and I don't see why they can't just put 410s in it since they have to out gears in the new housing anyways??

Quick Reply: 4.10 gear help!