Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REVIEW: SCT + BAMA Tunes from AM

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dadirtypoostick
I installed my Airaid CAI/tuner today. I had the 87 octane performance for my second tune. Is there a big difference between 87 and 91 performance wise? I loved it and noticed a huge difference over stock. Especially the roar under the hood. What caught me by surprise is how sensitive reverse is now. I have yet to back up without spinning the tires. Just gotta get used to it I guess.

What is the deal with the rolled up corrugated, cardboard-like, material in the stock intake?
That corrugate disc stuck in the intake tube only came in the 2005 model year.

Here's an article about it.
https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/05/05CPR/

It's a carbon filter trap. It's intention was to catch any fumes from the intake that would end up being burped from the intake ports of the heads when you shut the car off. It was environmental crap that was later realized to not be needed thus 2006+ don't have it.

It was actually something that could be removed without a tune and showed a gain of a few HP/TQ.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to post up. A CAI/Tune combo from Bama is the first mod anyone should make to their S197. Glad that it worked out nicely for you. Let me know if you have absolutely any other questions or ever need updates! Thanks again!
No problem at all, great products & great customer service deserve great reviews!

Originally Posted by McDirty
Congratulations on the purchase. Good to hear another satisfied customer. How many days from the order date did you have to wait before it was in your hands? Looking forward to the day I finally make the jump. I'm gonna wait until my commute goes from 90 to maybe 20 miles a day to save a little on the fuel costs.
i had to wait 3 days, it was a long 3 days lol

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
The tune will actually boost mileage if anything.
Yeah with the 87 tune =D

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
If you drive conservatively......Once I uploaded my tune, I think I lost gas mileage due to stomping on the throttle (a lot more) to feel the new added power!! LOL
^ BINGO lol... i find myself ummm on the drag strip at every red light lol XD

Originally Posted by eolson
Gear ration for 2011's is 2.73?? Not 3:31??
Correct, the 2011 V6's came with 2.73 unless you opted for the 3.31 option
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wil
Did the sound of your car change at idle?
not really much at idle, but when im putting the gas into it did =)

Originally Posted by dadirtypoostick
I installed my Airaid CAI/tuner today. I had the 87 octane performance for my second tune. Is there a big difference between 87 and 91 performance wise? I loved it and noticed a huge difference over stock. Especially the roar under the hood. What caught me by surprise is how sensitive reverse is now. I have yet to back up without spinning the tires. Just gotta get used to it I guess.

What is the deal with the rolled up corrugated, cardboard-like, material in the stock intake?
^^lmao!! about reverse XD
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
2008MustangGT
1st Gear Member

These are good things to hear! Has anyone had any unreliability once having aftermarket tunes placed on your car?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008MustangGT
These are good things to hear! Has anyone had any unreliability once having aftermarket tunes placed on your car?
There are tens of thousands of people out there running custom tunes from Bama, and there really aren't any significant issues. As long as the company that's tuning your car is experienced with your platform and their tunes are tested and proven, you should have no issues at all!

There's the argument that more power will always wear things out quicker and that your regular maintenance will happen faster, but we've had customers running our tunes since they bought their car new and now they've got over 100k miles with no problems to boot.

It's all about the experience of your tuner and quality of your custom tunes.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 AM
2008MustangGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks Chris! Reliability + Performance is important to me, and I appreciate the info! Looking into purchasing one now!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
SoCalGT08

loaded the 91 race Bama Tune a year ago....love it....quite possibly the Best Mod for your Buck