Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Muscle Short Throw Shifter - Any feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:57 PM
mrjlh1967

Default American Muscle Short Throw Shifter - Any feedback

I have a 2011 GT with 6speed manual. Notchy shifting since new from 1st to 2nd. Dealer has told me three times they are all like this and nothing they can do. Have heard mixed reviews on if an aftermarket shifter will help. Also find when really trying to shift quickly from 2nd to 3rd sometimes I hit 5th, which can be a real buzz kill so looking for something to help make me more accurate, and consistent, if possible. Been looking around and found that American Muscle appears to have their own branded one: http://www.americanmuscle.com/short-shifter-1112.html

It is considerably less than the Steeda, Barton and Hurst and has good feedback on their site, but would like some more opinions from those with actual experience with it.
Has anyone here installed or used it and what type of feedback do you have? Is it too good to be true or am I just stuck either way with notchy shifting?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you don't like notchy shifting, then get the MGW shifter and adjust it to a longer throw. Smooth as buttered butter. I used to have a Hurst, and while I really liked the look and feel of it, it was too notchy to get the job done at the track.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
mrjlh1967

Thanks for the feedback. I am not looking for longer throws though and am not a drag racer, just an everyday driver. My nitchiness seems maily when the car is cold too. Has been the same since day 1 and not gotten worse but also not gotten any better. Hunting for some specific feedback on the American Muscle short-throw Shifter.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I love AM, but I wouldn't buy that shifter if it were my car.
If the shifter is made by Stack Racing, like a lot of their none branded products, then the quality could be questionable. The good thing about it if you have any issues with it, American Muscle will work with you got get it resolved.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

The bracket is just as or more important than the shifter. I installed AM shifter and Steeda bracket and am happy. if you want something shorter get the Barton shifter. The AM shifter is not much shorter than stock. if I did it again I would get Barton but am satisfied enough to keep what I have.

Any shifter will be better than the factory shifter.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Interesting American Muscle has their own shifter now... I would go for the MGW!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If you don't like notchy shifting, then get the MGW shifter and adjust it to a longer throw. Smooth as buttered butter. I used to have a Hurst, and while I really liked the look and feel of it, it was too notchy to get the job done at the track.
^^^not to hijack the post but that black mustang is lookin right man! super sweet street strip look.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

If you don't like notchy shifting, then get the MGW shifter and adjust it to a longer throw. Smooth as buttered butter.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by albino_coyote
^^^not to hijack the post but that black mustang is lookin right man! super sweet street strip look.
Haha. Thanks bro.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM
SoCalGT08

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I'm very close to buying a MGW Shifter.......

How is the 2 to 3 shift on the MGW?

Quick Reply: American Muscle Short Throw Shifter - Any feedback