Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best wax for black

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default Best wax for black

Hello all,
My buddy and I are going to detail our cars this weekend. (The bastard just bought a 2012 GT500). Since both of our cars are black, I was wondering what products others use to wash and wax their cars and if there were any that were specific to black cars.
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

the only company i know that makes a "black vehicle" specific wax is Zymol...i use Adam's (if you went with them, go with the Brilliant Glaze & topd it with Americana Paste Wax)...there's also chemical guys, pinnacle, dodo juice...there's a ton of product out there
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Try Klasse AIO followed by Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax...no cheap though.

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3SjxojdSUk

This is my car in white...and if you know what it takes to make white shine likes this, you'll know!

Last edited by Roy_R; 02-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Adam's Americana, Chemical Guys products (5050, Pete's 53), Souveran, Dodo Juice, Wolfgang Fuzion, etc.

To clear things up, if you can buy the wax in the average auto parts store, then it isn't the best of the best. For black I think no matter what, the key is just getting a very high quality wax and it'll do its job bringing that black up to a beautiful shine.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Check out my pics, used Autoglym wax kit. Carwash -> Clay -> Wax'd dat ***.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

While more of a sealant/alternative to regular wax, I use a product called Liquid Glass. It's hard to find but if you're lucky you'll find a bottle on a auto parts store shelf. I've been that lucky once so far haha.

Seriously, I love this stuff. It lasts forever. A month after using it, I can put a microfiber towel on my hood and it still slides right off. After a few coats it works almost as a clear bra protectant for the front against rock chips and what not. I like it.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toxix
Check out my pics, used Autoglym wax kit. Carwash -> Clay -> POLISH -> Wax'd dat ***.
Fixed. Clay is a great cleaning product, but you have to use polish before waxing if you want your paint to look it's best.

Personally, I don't find any problems with many of the off-the-shelf products at the local auto parts store. I prefer the convienience, but I also take my time to do it right.

For the deepest, richest color, choose a natural wax such as carnuba. You just cannot get the richness in dark colors with a synthetic wax. Unfortunately, natural waxes don't last very long.

For lasting protection and shine, synthetic waxes are the way to go.

For the best of both worlds, wax with a natural wax and allow 3-5 days for the wax to cure, then finish with a synthetic wax. If you follow the natural to soon with synthetic you just end up stripping it off.

My process: Clean, clay, polish, carnuba, 3-5 days to cure, finish with synthetic wax (I like Meguairs NXT). Twice a year. Car doesn't come out to play in the rain (if I can avoid it) or Dec 1st-March 1st, so a light dusting with a car duster usually is all it takes to shine up my car.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i use poorboys world black hole glaze before i do the final wax
i also like to lay down several coats of paint sealant to get some deepness under the glaze.
then a few layers of the black hole glaze. then several layers of carnuba to get a wetness on top.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100

My good sir, where are your pants?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Black box with my little brother looking rather confused in the reflection. lol

Quick Reply: Best wax for black