Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E Brake Locked Up / Froze

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Default E Brake Locked Up / Froze

Hey guys. So, it got real cold in NOVA over Saturday night and started snowing. Yesterday (Sunday) I go out to move my car so the wife can move her Civic into the driveway. I fire it up and let it warm up for a minute. I remove the e-brake, put it in gear and slowly let off the clutch and the car doesn't move...like the e-brake was still on. So, I gave it some gas and she moved, but still felt like the e-brake was engaged. I had to get her out of the driveway, though. So, I drove her about 50 feet, giving it just enough gas to get her to move, and it didn't break loose. I parked it because I couldn't deal with the problem at the time, but if it's not too cold, I'm going to head out tonight and see if I can break it loose.

Other than doing a couple burnouts and / or a few hard launches, any other tricks I can use to break it free? The only other time I've had this happen was on a 4x4 Blazer. I just drove the damn thing until it broke free...but I really didn't care too much about "hurting" that truck. What do you guys think? Is there another way to maybe do this without the possibility of causing any damage?...or is there anything else I should just check in advance?

Last edited by moochman4life; 02-13-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Spelling lol
Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I believe there was a TSB for that problem. Seems water seeps into the cable housing and freezes. Might check with your dealer and see what parts they replace and if you still fit the TSB.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:11 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

You have to get the lines replaced
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

So that's it, then? I have to replace parts? It's not like on other vehicles where you can just break the stuck e-brake loose and call it a day?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so before I made this thread, I did a cursory search on the forums (05-12 stangs) and didn't see anything off the bat. But wouldn't you know it, as soon as I made it, I looked under Taco Bills TSB sticky and guess what: some info right there, TSB 06-5-4.

So, if I'm reading correctly, this is a below-freezing temp issue with water getting into the lines and freezing. Since Vortech says don't drive when it's below 25 degrees, I typically don't drive when temps are below freezing anyway, which explains why I might not have experienced this before. It's still cold as **** here in NOVA, and will only be colder by the time I get home, so looks like I'm not going to screw with this until it gets warmer.

Thanks for the inputs and inadvertently getting me searching in the right places. Looks like I'll have to be careful with the e-brake until it warms up.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

They will release but it will do it again unless you replace the lines
Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Same thing happened to my 05, just never felt like it would release. E brake stayed engaged and smelled like it was burning up and squealed like a pig.

All of the ebrake cable system corroded and froze up, about $450 to get it all fixed. Only the second minor repair in seven years, not so bad.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

I just bought all new cables and the assembly for 260
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

or you could just leave it in gear....
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I bought new cables for my 06 for around 180 I think and did it myself in about an hour. Probably faster if you're a smaller guy...Im pretty good sized with these long arms.

Happened to me only once though and I was 35 miles from home in the freezing CO snow after a late dinner with some clients, so I drove the beast until they broke free in the parking lot. I didnt use the parking brake after that until I replaced them.

Last edited by wcgman; 02-14-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: info

Quick Reply: E Brake Locked Up / Froze