Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory HID's

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
gghaml51

No it isn't a simple plug and play. According to the wiring diagram you have to add a wire on each side. I don't know for sure what changes are made to the fuse box either. I am waiting on the guru from the dealership to email me the low down.

When I bought the setup from the parts person she said it was a slam dunk, just cut the old plug and install the new one except the wiring diagram added the two wires (one per side) so I had questions. As soon as the guru gets back to me with the info I will let you know.

I think I will do a pictorial how to so everyone can see.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I've seen a few threads like this. Are you buying a used Mustang and wanting to add HID's to it since it didn't have it or buying a new mustang and just not opting to buy them when you buy the car becasue you figure you can go elsewhere cheaper??

Just curious since this is a case where aftermarket can/will rape you for OEM HID's and some of the aftermarket kits are just garbage.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
gghaml51

What happened was I bought a new '11 that was on the lot. On the same day I bought my wife an '03 Mach 1 that had 6759 miles from the same dealer. We got a really great deal price wise.
The HID's were the only things it didn't have that I wanted. I do NOT like aftermarket head lights because they are really crap for quality (I had a set on a ZX2). As for just the bulbs in the regular headlight housings, you really don't gain anything except blinding on coming traffic. SO I went with OEM HID's
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I've seen a few threads like this. Are you buying a used Mustang and wanting to add HID's to it since it didn't have it or buying a new mustang and just not opting to buy them when you buy the car becasue you figure you can go elsewhere cheaper??

Just curious since this is a case where aftermarket can/will rape you for OEM HID's and some of the aftermarket kits are just garbage.
I bought mine used with 15k miles. I got a good deal but it didnt have HID's which i had originally wanted, so i thought id look into getting OEM ones if it was easy or possible since i figured ford would sell them separately since cars do get damaged and need replacement parts..
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM
gghaml51

Well it seems it is plug and play. The two extra wires are power from the fuse box (Fuse 26 & 27). I figure I will add a circuit breaker and run a pair of 16 gage wires to the new plugs. If I could put the negative terminal in the fuse box I would do that but I'm not sure I want to mess with removing the fuse box.

The other difference is the size of the ground wires. On regular lights it is a 20 gage wire on HID's it is 16 gage.

I guess next week when it is warm and not raining I will put them in. I may try to plug one in just to see if this will work.

I can't attach anything to this post so I couldn't post the wiring pin out for the plugs.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
gghaml51

If it wasn't for the removal of the bumper cover it was an really easy change over. The OEM HID's fit like a glove. I did cut and splice the wiring and I used heat shrink to clean up the looks. The new pigtail was great! When I can post pic's I will.
One more thing, the power wire has to only be hot when the key is on. I used the positive terminals that the fuses were supposed to plug into.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 PM
2012Kona
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gghaml51
If it wasn't for the removal of the bumper cover it was an really easy change over. The OEM HID's fit like a glove. I did cut and splice the wiring and I used heat shrink to clean up the looks. The new pigtail was great! When I can post pic's I will.
One more thing, the power wire has to only be hot when the key is on. I used the positive terminals that the fuses were supposed to plug into.
How much are you into it for? I would really like to switch over too. The stock lights are just... Not HID's.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
gghaml51

Default OEM HID's

I really hate to say what they cost. I got them from a Ford dealer in Georgia for $800 with the pigtails. Way to much but the lights are great, they really light up the road! I would have bought one with them already installed but I got a really good deal on the car and it was new.
I sent the pictures to Andy maybe he can post them.

Last edited by gghaml51; 03-27-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM
mSaLL150

Retrofitting is absolutely the way to go. Not only does it cost less, but the performance is better than even the factory OEM HIDs. If you use projectors from theretrofitsource like the FXR 3.0, you can fit it with OEM bulbs from Philips, Osram, etc. These projectors are superior to the factory ones supplied by Ford (better width, uniformity, clear lenses for sharper cutoff, etc). Even paying a professional to do it will cost less than the OEM units. Check out HIDplanet.com for more information on retrofitting.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I really hate to say what they cost. I got them from a Ford dealer in Georgia for $800 with the pigtails. Way to much but the lights are great, they really light up the road! I would have bought one with them already installed but I got a really good deal on the car and it was new.
I sent the pictures to Andy maybe he can post them.
Amazing job! With retrofitting its never absolutely perfect, i had retrofits done by a shop on my 2003 mustang and they weren't anywhere near perfect. I bet hese OEM ones will give you no troubles like leaking, not being able to be aimed properly etc. I guarantee retrofits would cost near the same if not more including the persons or your labor, it takes alot of time and effort.

Here are the pics, if you want to explain the pics a bit that would be good ill add it in like im quoting you. I will host them on my imageshack and leave them hosted there permanently. These pics are VERY much appreciated!

Last edited by Andy13186; 03-28-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Factory HID's