Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
2010stanger
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 gt trackpack
Default Downshifting almost went bad

Hay guys! Cruising in 5th I started slowing down to come to a stop so like usual wanted to down shift in 4th but tranny wouldn't let me engage it in gear come to realize i was putting in 2nd!! Do these trannys have safeties for issues like this!? I was going maybe 45mph imagine what could have happen
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2010stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Ford Mustang GT

Are you having stock shifter?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Boss 302

At 45mph you probably would have been okay. Unless you're downshifting to pass, save the clutch wear and just use your brakes. Much easier to replace.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Stang V6

45 in 2nd woulda been fine, woulda burned your clutch a bit and you woulda gotten a surprise but tranny wouldnt be a problem, woulda prolly kicked you up to 4.5k rpm tho, i've accidently dropped to 2nd from 70 before and that was a nasty surprise but tranny/engine were fine, just shot up to like 6k rpm (was downshiftin to 4th on the highway to pass and ended up in 2nd...)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
2010stanger
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaStangPete View Post
45 in 2nd woulda been fine, woulda burned your clutch a bit and you woulda gotten a surprise but tranny wouldnt be a problem, woulda prolly kicked you up to 4.5k rpm tho, i've accidently dropped to 2nd from 70 before and that was a nasty surprise but tranny/engine were fine, just shot up to like 6k rpm (was downshiftin to 4th on the highway to pass and ended up in 2nd...)
Wow! I'm lucky then! I just don't understand why it wouldn't let me engage maybe I didnt use enough force but wouldn't it have grinded since engine reving to high for that gear
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
2010stanger
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainson View Post
Are you having stock shifter?
Ya everything on car is stock!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010stanger View Post
Wow! I'm lucky then! I just don't understand why it wouldn't let me engage maybe I didnt use enough force but wouldn't it have grinded since engine reving to high for that gear
Wouldn't have grinded as the car is fine in 2nd at 45 as KonaStangPete said. Would've gotten a surprise is all. It's the synchros that stopped you from doing it, I don't recommend it but if you're going along and push it towards a lower gear and gradually push harder, you'll hear the synchros whine up and it'll slip in with enough pressure.

You just can't force it in abruptly, though. It has to be gradual pressure. 1st gear is the most notable. Again, I don't suggest it

2008 Mustang GT Black/Black - 5 Speed
JLT Series 3 CAI, Bama tunes, MGW Shifter, Pypes Long Tubes, Pypes o/r H, SSS Adrenaline Series Mufflers, Sequentials, 35% Tints, lots more to come.

94 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0 auto 4x4 - Stock for now / Winter and school commuting car.
HxCGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

I've gone to 2nd at 40mph to pass people goin super slow in a 55.
Revs are fine at that speed.
Made plenty of noise passing them
Lem-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Other than tightening up the shoulder harness from the drastic deceleration and the skid mark in your briefs, the car would fare better than the driver.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 GT Prem.

You couldn't get it in gear because, basically, the synchros have to spin the transmission a LOT to get it to match up with 45mph. Had you kept pressure in, it would have gone into gear and you would've discovered how alert the driver behind you was.

The transmission would've been fine. The synchros would've complained a bit, though.
Delivered 07MAR11
hawkeye18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 2012, 3rd, 5r55s, 5th, bad, burn, clutch, downshift, downshifting, downshifts, forum, ls1, mustang, spins, transmission