Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car show last minute tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Not knocking you or anything but damn dude... You post pictures of your car in what seems like every thread....
Those pictures posted were to show him how clean my car is when I show...just to give him an idea of what to look out for/areas to clean. If you don't like the pictures you can always block me
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Like everyone else has said clean clean and clean some more. I always have a great time seeing all the cars and meeting new people. I really am jealous, as car show season is still a couple months off here in new england, and my car is in hibernation. Young Gun just show your car. I have seen all types of cars at shows. Some have looked like they were just drug out of a barn. Some I have just scratched my head and asked why. Even if you don't win, it is just fun to compete and have a good time. Who knows you might be surprised.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Thanks guys, very helpful! Yea, I'm definitely polishing up the wheel wells, interior of the wheel and keeping a dusting cloth with me. I plan on parking next to a stockish looking v6 if I have a choice

0672 those are exactly the kind of tips I'm looking for! I would've never thought about cleaning out the tread...

Yessir Pascal, over here at waterford! I'm excited though I wish I had some friends that were as big of Ford fans as me and entered the show too. I'll be trying to make new friends and visiting 5 Guys most likely haha

Young gun, I have two pretty good size dents in my A pillar from two rogue rocks I took on I-75. The closest car that was in front of me was a lane over and 50 yards up the road. A few scratches by my keyhole on the driver side and a small ping in my door, and a couple scratches on the rear passenger quarter. Yet even with all these little problems, I know that I have to enter this car into a show at least once before I move on.

And of course, there will be pics. Oh there will be pics.
Make sure also to use some polish on your lights to make them shine. With your grille make sure you wipe the water spots off every single bar. I had some points deducted for that very reason. Get down low in the rear by the exhaust and clean a little bit under there. I have had judges get down on their knees to look under the car to see how clean it is.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang0672
Make sure also to use some polish on your lights to make them shine. With your grille make sure you wipe the water spots off every single bar. I had some points deducted for that very reason. Get down low in the rear by the exhaust and clean a little bit under there. I have had judges get down on their knees to look under the car to see how clean it is.
That's serious stuff. If they did that in the daily driver class though, I'd be scratching my head asking why haha.

What kind of polish are you talking about on the headlights? I have those xpel light covers. Will a coat of wax really shine up that stuff?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
That's serious stuff. If they did that in the daily driver class though, I'd be scratching my head asking why haha.

What kind of polish are you talking about on the headlights? I have those xpel light covers. Will a coat of wax really shine up that stuff?
I wouldn't put it past any judge to not check in the rear. Even with a daily driver they still expect people to wash/clean areas your normally wouldn't even think about.

I am not sure on what polish to use if you have light covers but to shine mine up I use some Surf City chrome polish which was recommended by a friend who owns a bodyshop. I would imagine it would still work for your lights too. The surf city products I do not think are still being sold in stores as they were pricey but the items worked miracles.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

My car is a daily driver/full time car show car also.

lookin good ! as does the '70 T/A Challenger on the left, I know, for back in 'the day' I too owned one
Attached Thumbnails Car show last minute tips/tricks-img039.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't put it past any judge to not check in the rear. Even with a daily driver they still expect people to wash/clean areas your normally wouldn't even think about.

I am not sure on what polish to use if you have light covers but to shine mine up I use some Surf City chrome polish which was recommended by a friend who owns a bodyshop. I would imagine it would still work for your lights too. The surf city products I do not think are still being sold in stores as they were pricey but the items worked miracles.
Hmmm well I guess I'll have to improvise as all I've got to work with is advanced auto parts haha. I'll definitely make a point to shine up my grill though.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

I have never been in any shows but after I get my Roush bumper and Trufiber hood installed I plan on entering a few my recomendation would be to get a bottle of mothers back to black and go over all the black exterior trim on your car if at all faded, window moldings,deck lid panels ,grilles ,cowls wiper arms etc.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Make sure also to use some polish on your lights to make them shine.
DON'T do this! The Xpel Headlight tint will look cloudy! Just make sure you clean it with Windex or apply some wax and check on it later to make sure it's cleared up and wipe with a dry cloth.

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-17-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 AM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

spray painting your wheel wells right before the show will give it an extra clean look

Quick Reply: Car show last minute tips/tricks