Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang GT 5.0L
trent.stuart1
Default Front license plate in texas?

I know it is required but I see tons of people without front license plates especially on mustangs/corvettes/camaros. I know that if you have a specialty car not designed for a front plate you do not need one. Does anyone know if I put this on my car-
http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...lack-pony.html if the cops would harass me? Also when I get my GT front bumper with painted GT/CS lower valance I would deff not be putting a plate on it.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2014 Mustang GT Premium 6R80Modifications: Kooks catback exhaust, JLT driver and passenger side oil separators, Avant Garde M510 wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 tires, Koni yellows, Maximum motorsport road and track springs, Maximum motorsports caster camber plates, BMR lower control arms, BMR relocation brackets, BMR upper control arm AND MOUNT, mrt black hood struts, BMR adjustable panhard bar,
mustang0672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
SyberSaint

Vehicle: 2011 Saleen 302 MT
Dale Reeves

Mustang0672

I live in Universal City, and the UC Gestapo here prowles the streets and show NO mercy. I have had two tickets here my area. I say that you find a way to mount a front plate without jacking up your bumper. State Troopers are even worse so take heed and put your plate on.

Syber

2011 Saleen Vert #007, S302, MT

1964 Ford, Falcon-Sprint 260, 4Spd
SyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Yes, you will get messed with.
Most cops and State Troopers could really care less, but it is a reason to pull you over. Been pulled over at least 20 times with the plate suction cupped to the windshield, 2 troopers told me I really should put it on the bumper, and I got a ticket from a cop in Houston. Or rather, my friend who was driving it with me in the passenger side got the ticket. That cop was just a dick though, hassling us. Followed us for over three miles, then when we parked at Walmart, he blocked us in and turned his lights on. Just looking for a reason to issue a ticket, he wrote one for the plate not being displayed on the front most part of the bumper.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 Mustang GT 5.0L
trent.stuart1

Does anyone know how well the flip down plates work? I would imagine they would flutter in the wind scratching up paint?
2014 Mustang GT Premium 6R80Modifications: Kooks catback exhaust, JLT driver and passenger side oil separators, Avant Garde M510 wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 tires, Koni yellows, Maximum motorsport road and track springs, Maximum motorsports caster camber plates, BMR lower control arms, BMR relocation brackets, BMR upper control arm AND MOUNT, mrt black hood struts, BMR adjustable panhard bar,
mustang0672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
xkape
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 Roush Stage 3 Convertible

theres a guy over on fnsweet forums that makes one that is permanent but does not require drilling. From what I read, he did a good job with the bracket, ensuring not metal was rubbing your paint and whatnot and has good reviews.

Also, theres a retractable one as well. I have not really read into the customer reviews but, I think they even sell it at American Muscle so theres probably tons of customer reviews.
xkape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

If I ever move back to Alaska I'll buy this bracket for my front plate: http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/ But most cops here in Texas don't know that Alaska is a front plate state so I just keep it in the seat pocket.

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hayes Racing
darksky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT500 07 GT vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky1984 View Post
If I ever move back to Alaska I'll buy this bracket for my front plate: http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/ But most cops here in Texas don't know that Alaska is a front plate state so I just keep it in the seat pocket.
So you're running Alaska plates in TX then?

wcgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

Technically, the "current law" only requires a "valid registration". A house bill passed which didnt address the plates properly, and language about 'front of vehicle' and plates in general was removed:

According to HB 2357, Section 502.473, the law requiring front plates was REDACTED!
http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2011/tx-hb2357.pdf
Scroll to page 171 for the excerpt.

There's a local guy who's taking a no-front-plate ticket to court, and we're all waiting to see how that comes out.

I see that as a temporary situation and prefer to avoid additional causes for getting pulled over. As such, I have a bolt-on quick-remove plate mount that I made and I install when I want to display a front plate. No bumper holes.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004

theres a guy over on fnsweet forums that makes one that is permanent but does not require drilling.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
caaraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #10
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: '07 Mustang GT

I run no front plate.
Instead I ordered a bracket from Americanmuscle and never opened the package and threw it in the back seat.

I've been pulled over twice and let go because I show them the package and tell them that I just got the bracket in and am mounting it the first chance I get.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, front, intexas, law, licence, license, licenseplate, liscense, mount, plate, plates, required, requirement, texas, windshield