Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA SHORT SHORTY HEADERS

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Default JBA SHORT SHORTY HEADERS

Just received my JBA Shorty headers for my 05 GT today and was wondering if anyone here has installed these themselves on here. I am looking to do the install this weekend but had a quick question. JBA's instructions states to reuse the Gasket by using a little gasket sealant, why would they suggest that? Gaskets are $21.00 wouldn't it make sense to just replace them and if I did should I still use the gasket sealant? . I don't want to get done with this 4+ hour job and have them leak.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Since your Mustang is a 2005, I would definitely invest in new set of gaskets.

I reused mine because my car was only a year old and the fact that the OEM gaskets are metal.

You will enjoy your purchase! This was one of my favorite mods, despite all of the negative comments about shorties... (you picture clearly shows why JBA shorties are much different from the OEM manifolds and FRPP aftermarket shorties)

Last edited by jdmcbride; 02-29-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Quick tip for installing those, when i put mine in it helps to take the battery and tray out on the passenger side, put a and jack under the oil pan and take out the motor mount bracket and the motor mount itself on the k member. All kinds of space once you do that. On the left side, take out the air cleaner box, motor mount and bracket, take belt and ps pump loose( don't disconnect any of the fluid lines, and i actually slid mine in on the drivers side from the top front if that makes any sense. It's a really good idea to put in a set of prothane bullet motor mounts at this point too.... alot of guys complain of the right side header contacting the frame when you get on it if you don't. I also reused as many of the original studs as possible when i put mine in.... that seems to help too. Good luck with your install!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Did you guys use any Gasket sealant when installing these? I will definitely use those tips, thanks guys!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

No, you don't use any sealants at all. I also had to slightly bend my exhaust flange slightly on the left side header.... it was bumping on the frame rail... other than that no problems. You may want to use some never seize (graphite) on your bolts going into the heads... helps if you would ever need to get them back out
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

+1000 on getting and installing HD motor mounts when you do your headers!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I put in the BBK ones which are basically the same thing and had to jack up my motor to put the passenger one in, don't put the jack right on the pan though, find a good sized 2x8 or so and put it between the jack and pan.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I called Summit up and ordered the Pro thane Motion Control mounts, American Muscle was out of stock. RDSX18, you have a good point I will make sure to but something between the Pan and the Jack.

What is the Torque spec on the exhaust header bolts?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
2008 GT4ME

They look Great!

The factory gaskets can be reused. That is what I did with my JBA headers and I have had NO leaks. If you are worried then buy the $21 gaskets and you should have no problems.

Last edited by 2008 GT4ME; 02-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Ford spec per shop manual is 12 nm (106 INCH lbs) for the studs going into the head, and 25 nm (18 FT lbs) for the nuts going onto the studs. I used all of the studs that would not interfere with the header, i think i only used 3 or 4 actual bolts on each side.

Quick Reply: JBA SHORT SHORTY HEADERS