Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Next mustang route:
Wait for the 2015, wait to make a decision and pay in full
81.25%
Buy new 2013/2012 next January '13 after graduation
6.25%
Buy used 2012 new January '13 after graduation
0%
Other? Specify
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Yes, another "future upgrade opinion" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Just keep in mind that 45k/year will work out to around $2500/month after taxes. This does not include any retirement contributions you want to make or other voluntary benefits. I think you'll find that once you subtract basic living expenses like rent, food, gas, fun, etc, there isn't much left. You don't want to end up having a nice car but not being able to afford to do anything else. Your best bet is to create a spreadsheet itemizing all of your expenses for the month and see what you have left. It's amazing how quickly stuff adds up.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
Just keep in mind that 45k/year will work out to around $2500/month after taxes. This does not include any retirement contributions you want to make or other voluntary benefits. I think you'll find that once you subtract basic living expenses like rent, food, gas, fun, etc, there isn't much left. You don't want to end up having a nice car but not being able to afford to do anything else. Your best bet is to create a spreadsheet itemizing all of your expenses for the month and see what you have left. It's amazing how quickly stuff adds up.
This ain't a half bad idea haha. And being an intern, I've been given some mind-numbing tasks at times so I know how to make a mean spreadsheet haha. That's something I'll do this coming week during spring break
Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hotwheelracer
Not to be the dad in the room, but.........................

Drive your current car until the wheels fall off. When that happens, get a 2 year old stang that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on. Take some of the money you are saving and open a Roth IRA or contribute to your 401k to the max if possible. You can never get back time, and the power of compunding interest is profound. Once you start a family it gets harder and harder to divy up the money to all the things you want to have and do. I think your car is fanstastic, and it seems like you finally got everything you wanted. Take 5k of that savings and throw a blower in there, and put 5k in an emergency fund or retirement fund. Good luck to you, seems like youare one of the few in this next generation that actually have their sh*t together.

*edit*
Sorry about the blower comment, just reread the end of your post. Although, you know a few guys on the board have blowers and they have extremely reliable cars.
Thanks Hotwheel! You know, considering what you just said, I guess it would make sense to start saving. Who knows what surprises I may just have to deal with in the near future. So maybe taking 6k throw on a blower, (**EDIT: make that 7k; going to need an 8.8) buy a nice suit for interviews and save the rest for the future ride/retirement might be the smartest idea. Like I said before, it's just hard knowing that I'll be starting a new chapter in life, will have a little more spending money than what I'm currently used to, but won't be able to purchase what I want right off the bat. Then again, I'll be taking care of what I need.

I just have Ricky Bobby syndrome. I wanna go fast haha
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
LOL, true...I mean, you already have a nice mustang and the smart thing to do is wait. AS far as starting a new life, if you're single, decisions can be easy. If married, it will get a little tricky (you may go from saving money for that stang you've had your eyes set on or end up purchasing that family station wagon). Alot can happen in 2 years. But for now, I wouldn't wrap my head around it, just let it sit in your mind for a few days (maybe a few months), then re-evaluate everything and see what option you plan on going for.
Nope, no plans on getting married any time soon. I do have a pretty good girlfriend though. No station wagon here. If need be in the future, it'll be a really nice truck or SUV haha. Thanks Lopez, that's exactly what I'm going to do.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

dont pay in full... finance it at as low of a rate as possible, invest the cash and most likely make much more than the rate youre financed at.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
dont pay in full... finance it at as low of a rate as possible, invest the cash and most likely make much more than the rate youre financed at.
True that. Assuming of course that you can get a relatively low interest rate.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
True that. Assuming of course that you can get a relatively low interest rate.
My credit score is already pretty good. Been paying for textbooks and car parts with my credit card and paying it off immediately for the past couple of years. Good idea, Andy. I'll definitely remember that.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

here's the real question... do you work corporate for a defense contractor, or on a project? If you're on a project, how secure is that job, what do you do? Are your skills easily transferable to a non-defense job? You do understand the major defense contractors are about to have a severe emotional experience in the next couple of years, right?

But either way, be happy with what you have, drive it until the wheels fall off, then buy something new.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:28 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
here's the real question... do you work corporate for a defense contractor, or on a project? If you're on a project, how secure is that job, what do you do? Are your skills easily transferable to a non-defense job? You do understand the major defense contractors are about to have a severe emotional experience in the next couple of years, right?

But either way, be happy with what you have, drive it until the wheels fall off, then buy something new.
From what he's said he's going to be salaries, with a job position within the company which means he won't just be around as a consultant or something. Not to mention that younger grades don't tend to be consultants very often anyway.

I'd say he shouldn't be too worried about job prospects, if I remember correctly he's been a solid student and as a Mech E, engineering jobs are one of the better industries to be a part of. I know tech engineers are still more preferred but all engineers have things pretty good.

@OP

I'd say try not to stress over the smaller details too much, too far in advance. The whole living at home thing isn't a bad idea to save you cash, especially in the beginning of a career the fixed costs of life away from home are a much bigger deal.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:55 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons

Nope, not on a project. We do have a good number of high risk cutting edge projects in house, but also have a good number of large, stable contracts with the govt and friends. I work for a purchasing group which buys almost all of the parts for the company's facilities in the Southeast. Includes buyers, material expediters, engineers, quality people, and a healthy number of managers. You're right, our defense spending is decreasing at home, but don't forget that while our budget is decreasing, a few of our allies in regions just a tad more hostile are ramping up I'm a little nervous about new jobs, but if there's one thing I do have, it's a good work ethic and a willingness to learn. I'm not overly worried about finding a job as my parents have a couple friends with spouses in engineering that like me. I work a lot with supplier issues including quality, sub-tier, and engineering specs/fixes. All of this is why I'm more nervous about a new car rather than a job haha.

The more I think about it, the less I want to buy new. Something about that huge depreciation that sticks in my mind. Instead, I'll probably just look at barely used rides who's previous owners put 5k miles into and didn't like it haha.

Pdonket, I love the prospect of saving money, but I hate the prospect of living back at home. It's why I didn't attend USF in the first place haha

Quick Reply: Yes, another "future upgrade opinion" thread