Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catch can's

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
look ma, no catch can.
no PCV lines either.

So you don't get any oil coming out the breathers? How did you plug the hole in the whipple intake tube? Did you just put a

By the way, i made a homemade smoke machines and the only leak I could find was at that stupid grommet on the intake tube. Did you put a plug in the whipple manifold?

Please tell me that is the pic you took when you first installed the blow! My coolant reservoir was never that clear and now it looks like crap.

Last edited by moosestang; 03-12-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

The oil wouldn't come out of the breathers, it would follow the path of the air thats supposed to flow from the PCV to the upper intake, which in One's case would be a rather sexy supercharger.

If there is no PCV flow... I guess it's all connected, valve covers and the area under the intake, but if there isn't an active airflow, nothing is actively removing the byproducts of the blowby, so I guess it just stays in the oil, and is partially removed by the oil filter.

I'm going with the UPR oil separator, because it looks good enough to grace an engine bay, people say it does a good job, and while it costs too damned much for an aluminum tube, it's not as much as some of the other offerings. It costs $110 at UPR's site, and $119 at some of the internet aftermarket shops.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
The oil wouldn't come out of the breathers, it would follow the path of the air thats supposed to flow from the PCV to the upper intake, which in One's case would be a rather sexy supercharger.

If there is no PCV flow... I guess it's all connected, valve covers and the area under the intake, but if there isn't an active airflow, nothing is actively removing the byproducts of the blowby, so I guess it just stays in the oil, and is partially removed by the oil filter.

I'm going with the UPR oil separator, because it looks good enough to grace an engine bay, people say it does a good job, and while it costs too damned much for an aluminum tube, it's not as much as some of the other offerings. It costs $110 at UPR's site, and $119 at some of the internet aftermarket shops.
If you just have a breather on both sides, then blowby is going to force some oil out those breathers, that and the pumping action of the pistons themselves is going to force air and oil up and out.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

I pulled this out of my car last week. It had roughly 5k on it and a day of road course action

P.S. some spilt during dumping too so there WAS more. I have the Mishimoto and I think it works AMAZING.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
So you don't get any oil coming out the breathers? How did you plug the hole in the whipple intake tube? Did you just put a

By the way, i made a homemade smoke machines and the only leak I could find was at that stupid grommet on the intake tube. Did you put a plug in the whipple manifold?

Please tell me that is the pic you took when you first installed the blow! My coolant reservoir was never that clear and now it looks like crap.

i do get some blowby that comes out the passenger side breather, and it gets on the valve cover.
i wipe it off about once a week with a rag. only a few drops, nothing major.
i have 3 breathers: passenger and driver valve covers, and the oil filler cap.
then i used vacuum plugs from NAPA to plug the whipple intake tube, behind the throttle body.
but basically wherever the PCV hose went, I put the breather on the valve cover side so the engine can breath, and plugged the other side with a vacuum cap/plug so there is no vacuum leaks.

after 4 years, my coolant reservoir is still pretty clean.
even in SC oil window, its pretty clean.
in 4 years I only have about 6k miles on the SC.

Last edited by onederful100; 03-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!

Good choice. I have one on my car and it looks & works great. I'll PM you the 10% off discount code.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

So I have to ask, why not just pour the oil filtered out back into the engine?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by wcgman
It isn't just oil, it is oil, fuel, exhaust vapor mixture.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
You woul pour it out of the catch can and go WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
It isn't just oil, it is oil, fuel, exhaust vapor mixture.
Exactly why you don't lol
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
in 4 years I only have about 6k miles on the SC.
Oh, well that's not fair! I need to change my intercooler coolant. I've got 28,000 miles on the blower and my oil is still clear.

Quick Reply: catch can's