Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default FRPP Intake manifold question

I just purchased the manifold and I am wondering if the Ford TB is a item I should purchase as well.

Mods relevant to purchase
O/R H pipe
boom tubes
About to purchase hot rod cams and LT'S as well. Should I buy the TB? Since I am spending all this money on the other's why not just buy the TB? No blower... child number 2 on the way.

Current mods: Bama tunes, 3.73s, UDP, and CAI.

This will be all the performance mods the car will get.

Suspension, wheels, and exterior are next.

Then done with the car
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

I did both at the same time, but I did them mainly for looks. Not sure if I got any more hp or not, but they look great together.
Attached Thumbnails FRPP Intake manifold question-dsc_0241.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you're putting together a nice ride. I'd save on the TB and put it towards Diapers!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcate
I did both at the same time, but I did them mainly for looks. Not sure if I got any more hp or not, but they look great together.
How's your low end feel? My tuner tells me that typically big manifolds only compound low rpm drivabiltiy issues. I lost over 50ft-lbs of torque below 3000rpm with the setup in my sig vs. stock. I'd like to open up the top end a little more with a manifold and TB, but not if I have to sacrifice any more divablity down low.

P.S. It does look A LOT nicer in the engine bay than the stocker!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
I just purchased the manifold and I am wondering if the Ford TB is a item I should purchase as well.

Mods relevant to purchase
O/R H pipe
boom tubes
About to purchase hot rod cams and LT'S as well. Should I buy the TB? Since I am spending all this money on the other's why not just buy the TB? No blower... child number 2 on the way.

Current mods: Bama tunes, 3.73s, UDP, and CAI.

This will be all the performance mods the car will get.

Suspension, wheels, and exterior are next.

Then done with the car
With what you have and what you plan on doing, I would definitely suggest the throttle body.

Let me know if I can help you with any of those mods.

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-rac...d-mustang.html
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I personally would have done the intake manifold and TB last, with suspension coming before them, but if you already have the manifold you might as well go with the TB. If nothing else it looks sweet under the hood lol.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
How's your low end feel? My tuner tells me that typically big manifolds only compound low rpm drivabiltiy issues. I lost over 50ft-lbs of torque below 3000rpm with the setup in my sig vs. stock. I'd like to open up the top end a little more with a manifold and TB, but not if I have to sacrifice any more divablity down low.

P.S. It does look A LOT nicer in the engine bay than the stocker!
I haven't dyno'd it yet, but it feels fine down low. My 4.10 gears probably help mask any low rpm loss, however. Since I put the cams in it jerks a little if I'm idling through a parking lot, but that's to be expected. I didn't notice any adverse effects from the manifold/tb.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

The results from posters on these aftermarket intake manifolds are all over the place. They seem to be a minimal performance mod at best. I don't trust vendor hp claims either. A lot of other mods can be added, along with the intake manifold to produce seductive gains on a dynosheet.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
The results from posters on these aftermarket intake manifolds are all over the place. They seem to be a minimal performance mod at best. I don't trust vendor hp claims either. A lot of other mods can be added, along with the intake manifold to produce seductive gains on a dynosheet.
Agreed. There's plenty of evidence out there to support this. If you're doing it, you're really doing it as an appearance mod.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcate

LOOKS great!!!!

Quick Reply: FRPP Intake manifold question