Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re Shaftmasters Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Smile Question re Shaftmasters Driveshaft

I just had my dealer install a new Shaftmasters Driveshaft and Steeda adjustable upper control arm. I have no vibration at all at 100 MPH so I think we are good in that area. I did notice that the shifter moves or wiggles about 1cm left and right back and forth when I hit a bump or rev the car in gear and jump off the gas to the brake for example. This is a one piece unit versus the stock two piece unit so it is now direct drive from the tranny to the pinion. Is this the reason for this movement? It is not a problem, but I am a fanatic about this car so I am just curious.

Now on a separate note, when I put the old shaft in the box to store in away I noticed that it was unbelievable HEAVY. So the rotating mass has gone way down which is a great thing, not to mention the 30 extra pounds are gone from the car too. This is a great mod if you are going to keep the car because only you will know its under there. I also bought a driveshaft loop and put that in, so its a lot safer as well.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Pics or it didn't happen!!! LOL

Don
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

My shifter moves, anyways and I have the stock driveshaft. I assuming you have a manual if not then maybe some things just need to be tighten up. I mean if I rev it or when I braking. The engine is torquing slightly. So in a manual you would see ball move when the touqe forces change on the trans.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Pics or it didn't happen!!! LOL

Don
Fair enough, I will take some pics next time I am back to my car in about two weeks. BTW your car is beautiful!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BWfVA
My shifter moves, anyways and I have the stock driveshaft. I assuming you have a manual if not then maybe some things just need to be tighten up. I mean if I rev it or when I braking. The engine is torquing slightly. So in a manual you would see ball move when the touqe forces change on the trans.
It is a 5 speed with a FRPP shifter kit so it is very very tight, too tight honestly when I first had it installed, but it loosened up after about 5,000 miles to be perfect. I now feel a lot more of the drivetrain than I used to. Again I think it is due to the two piece driveshaft.