Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
those are exactly what I'm talking about. Every time you step on the brake, the lights flash.

And it doesn't speak to the "politeness" of the traffic, just the irritation of the damn sequentials lighting up every time the idiot in front of me steps on the brake pedal. The last time I sat behind that I wanted to rear end him just to make it go away. I was in a company car at the time, though.
Gets your attention though, doesn't it? That's the purpose of brake lights.

Personally I hate getting behind anyone with tinted tails. It DOES reduce visibility and looks like crap on most cars.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
Daytime visibility is the biggest issue. You have 3 problems with tinting tail lights:

1) In bright sun the lights are not bright enough to be seen quickly & easily, especially at the required 200' distance.

2) Any sun glare on the exterior surface of the lens/lens cover will make the lights too dim to see at 200'. Having a matte surface on the outside of the lens cover would help this.

3) The tail light surface is designed with reflex, it is a pyramid shaped surface on the inside surface of the outside lens. Basically, if another car is behind you and they have their lights on, it will make your tail light lens glow as if it were lighted. Adding any tint will reduce or eliminate the briteness of the reflex. The reflex is dimmed by twice the tinting rate.

I am a retired Engineer, I have more than a few years in automobile design & testing, I know what I am talking about, I am not voicing an "opinion", this is based on fact. Matter of fact, I designed a couple versions of the fox body tail & marker lights from the mid to late 80's.
I am pretty sure that most police departments will not ticket you for the tinted tail lights.

But having tinted tail lights and getting rear ended should get you the "at fault" ticket because you reduced the visibility of the OEM safety equipment (lights & reflex). You might get lucky and maybe the cop doesn't notice, but I would not count on it.
I'm in no way questioning your intelligence. I suppose I should have chose my wording a little better. It DOES make a difference, of course, but I don't feel that it makes an unsafe difference. After taking a video today I thought a little bit more about this and it is feasible to believe MY lights may be too dark. You CAN see them but it is fairly dim. D'prived did not go nearly as dark and I am 100% certain that you'd be able to clearly see that signal at his level of tinting. Here's the video I took today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2aZH...1&feature=plcp

And about the whole rear ending thing. If someone rear ends me there is NO way I find it acceptable to be blamed due to my tail-lights being tinted. That would be horse ****. If someone is driving a vehicle they should be paying attention to the road and should not be following closer than 2-3 car lengths giving ample time for them to stop if they were in fact paying attention. Brake lights AIDE the driver behind you, they don't dictate your actions.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

I went with the LED smoked taillights in mine, they are close to twice as bright during the day or night and the smoked look doesn't hardly block any light. Also I just wanted something a bit different.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Too Uncle Ben for me...but to each his own.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by White05GT
Gets your attention though, doesn't it? That's the purpose of brake lights.

Personally I hate getting behind anyone with tinted tails. It DOES reduce visibility and looks like crap on most cars.
if my horn honks every time I step on the brakes, it's also attention-grabbing. Think I'll go wire that up now.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Here's the video I took today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2aZH...1&feature=plcp

And about the whole rear ending thing. If someone rear ends me there is NO way I find it acceptable to be blamed due to my tail-lights being tinted. That would be horse ****. If someone is driving a vehicle they should be paying attention to the road and should not be following closer than 2-3 car lengths giving ample time for them to stop if they were in fact paying attention. Brake lights AIDE the driver behind you, they don't dictate your actions.
I don't know bakerjd, your tail lights are barely visible in that video (unless the video makes it look dimmer than it actually is). Even if the officer didn't write up the tickets as your fault, the person in the car behind you would probably sue you for having a modification to your car that severely reduces the effectiveness of the tail lights. And you almost had it right, the brake lights indicate your actions, not dictate them.

In most states it is illegal to tint any of the lights on a vehicle. But I love the way the rear of your car looks with the tint.

Last edited by jdmcbride; 03-19-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Bigmike06gt - I just can't get into the LED "euro-style" lights.. sorry.

Essayons - Good to see another member of the engineer community on here. Everytime I see your name, I get so nostalgic about OSUT. lol

OP - My personal preference: Leave them un-tinted. Unless you have other "black-out" features on your 'stang, not worth the hassle IMO. But then, I like the cleaner-cut look on red stangs. GL with the decision!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I don't know bakerjd, your tail lights are barely visible in that video (unless the video makes it look dimmer than it actually is). Even if the officer didn't write up the tickets as your fault, the person in the car behind you would probably sue you for having a modification to your car that severely reduces the effectiveness of the tail lights. And you almost had it right, the brake lights indicate your actions, not dictate them.

In most states it is illegal to tint any of the lights on a vehicle. But I love the way the rear of your car looks with the tint.
Not illegal in Ohio But yes, as I stated earlier they are probably too dark. I don't care though. If someone hits my car the last thing they should worry about is who's at fault for the accident. FWIW, I suggested going with something similar to D'prived's lights.

Last edited by bakerjd; 03-19-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
RWY1984

I think black out tails look tacky. Very few people can get away with going dark. Personally, I like a lite smoke color to take away the brightness of the red.