Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i think my water pump just broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 AM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

Default so i think my water pump just broke

So just my luck, right after the install of my suspension, my buddy notices a leak. I'm leaking coolant pretty bad and its coming from the water pump. I'm wondering if its just the seal or the pump itself. I'm not looking forward to taking it to the dealer since each time Ive gone they warn me that "it might not be covered under my warranty" oy...anyone have any ideas or the same issue? I still have my ford power train warranty until oct of this year and I also have that bs extended warranty, so I hope I can make it till Wednesday.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Dont drive it? Thats the only idea ive got...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

My guess would be the composite thermostat housing is cracked.... common problem on the 4.0.
Stop driving and get it fixed.

Last edited by GrayPony; 03-13-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Agreed...you don't drive with a bad water pump it could cause major engine damage. If it's not covered under warranty (and an extended warranty should!) then you're probably in the neighborhood of 350 to get it replaced at a non-stealership. Dont fall for all the "we'll flush the system too!" crap.

BTW - I dont know for sure on the newer mustangs, but every Ford I've ever had has what's called a weep hole on the water pump. If something internal starts to go south, the weep hole is designed to start leaking to tell you there's a problem and replace the pump.

Replacing a water pump really is not hard except you likely need a pulley puller that you can rent and get like a Chilton's guide...that is if you want to DIY. Beyond that's its a bit of a messy job with all the coolant and don't reuse your old unless it's pretty fresh.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:02 AM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

Well, tomorrow i take it to the ford dealership and if they tell me that its not covered then im going to the dealer i bought it from to see what they can do. Again I checked this morning and the coolant was almost gone.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by GrayPony
My guess would be the composite thermostat housing is cracked.... common problem on the 4.0.
Stop driving and get it fixed.
Exactly, I just replaced mine...
That housing is a joke.
Here, take a look at this mess:

Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Did you buy it from a dealership other than Ford? You shouldnt risk driving it between 2 dealerships to get this resolved. We're not kidding when we say you dont drive it with a leaky pump. Your seriously running the risk of something that might be in the hundreds going into the thousands. Does your insurance or extended warranty cover a tow?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 PM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

wow that thing was a mess pascal how long did u go before u knew/replaced it?
i didnt buy my car from ford, bought it from nissan right across the street from ford. I dont know if a tow would be covered im going to call and check. If not the dealership is down the street from me so i might just take it there praying the whole way. You guys think that housing is covered thru ford?

edit- so i called ford and they said that the water pump is covered but the housing isnt. Next i called my extended warranty co and they told me the same thing. im really stuck here I just spent some extra cash on getting my suspension done and now this.....im just pissed off you would think that this component would be covered I dont even have 50k on the car! srsly wtf is there any way for me to figure what exactly it is? i found that part for less than 50 bucks so if thats the problem i can give replacing it a shot.

edit#2
ok so ive been researching the issue with my car online and i came across this link
http://extendedfordwarranty.com/ford...train-warranty

"Engine Warranty: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump"

so if this is the case, then why the heck would ford tell me that its not covered??!! Am I being taken for a spin or what?

Last edited by pandastang; 03-14-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: cuz im pissed
Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 PM
pandastang
1st Gear Member

bump for some advice thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM
white08gt
1st Gear Member

if the replacement part is less than $100, i would change it out myself not worth the hassle even if it is covered by warranty. probably be at the dealer for 2 days and they usually mess something else up. years ago i took my new mach 1 in for warranty work and they damaged the front bumper and denied it, **** out of luck. make a walk around with service manager inside and out,had grease on seats and mats, have them document it on service order. water pump replacement is pretty straight forward just have ago at it. are you in club? usually find someone to help you.

Quick Reply: so i think my water pump just broke