Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed my beautiful car (TL;DR at the bottom)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
Well your insurance company should be taking care of everything. However, not sure what will happen to your insurance rate. Only time can tell on that one. Situation sucks, but lucky it wasn't worse. Your car will be repaired in due time though, so hope all goes well with that route.
I called my insurance and they said the accident itself won't make my rate go up since I have "accident forgiveness".

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
Funny how people are quick to claim neck and back injuries at times. I mean, it could be legit, then on the other hand, could be a simple way for them to collect some extra cash (Drive a KIA may explain it all).
The only thing that really makes me mad is that she told me she was fine, just shaken up, and then turn around 5 seconds later and tell the police she and her passengers were having severe neck/back pain.

Originally Posted by 09daytona
Are you sure the police was aware the Kia was making a U-turn? That might explain the ticket.
If a ticket was issued to you then you could be found 100% at fault which in my home state means drop your drawers and grab them ankles, here comes the screwed train. When you get the accident report make sure it is accurate. If not you might want to amend it.
Everything that I wrote up there was word for word what I told the police. She wasn't making a U-turn, she was just making a left hand turn into a parking lot and an abandoned building in the back. I already know that I am at fault with the accident since I slid into her, but it's the fact that she wasn't supposed to be there making that turn. When I get my police report, i'll be sure to look over everything with a fine tooth comb.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Daytona, make sure the report is CORRECT! Now with the neck and back BS, did they end up taking the ambulance ride? If not, you're okay. Any medical expenses will be on them and won't touch your insurance at all (Let's hope). If they did take the ride, then your insurance might go up. But DEFINITELY make sure the report is correct and if it isn't, get that taken care of. But hopefully 30 MPH didn't do much internal damage to where they total it. My mom hit a light poll (emergency vehicles were rushing through the parking lot and she was trying to move out of the way) in a parking lot (~10 MPH) and they totalled her Tahoe. Literally from the picture she sent me it looked like the bumper would be the only thing needing replacement. Guess not! So make sure you cover your own a$$ with the insurance and ticket stuff good luck dude!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6;7873645
[IMG
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg39/scaled.php?server=39&filename=mustangcrashmarch9.j pg&res=medium[/IMG]

Damn, that looks awfully familiar. June of last year:

So I can tell you that you're definitely getting a new bumper and a new hood, though I'm sure you already knew that. Glad to hear you're ok though. Even at low speeds, you can get seriously messed up. My first accident was only at about 25mph and I had to call out of work that night because my back was getting worse by the hour only a couple of hours afterwards.

1) Now you can get a new front end! There's the silver lining, I suppose. Time to upgrade!

2) Definitely look into the defensive driving course. Even if your rates don't go up, this would definitely help you escape from future incidents. It's only a matter of time until your DD gets messed up by others' carelessness.

The other driver seems like a royal B**ch
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

I've been rear ended by someone going around 30ish mph before, and i can tell you my neck and back were definitely sore. Now, theyre was no injury, i just felt like i had been beat up. Especially the next day like someone else said. Unfortunately, you hit someone in the back, its usually case closed, youre at fault. At least the damage doesnt look too bad on your car. What'd the Kia look like?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I had a similar thing happen and the other driver sued me for 350k. (the maximum at the time). She actually waited until the day before the statute of limitations on the accident expired (1 year) to file suit so she could get a whole years worth of "pain and suffering" into the claim. The accident I was in totaled both my car and hers. (neither car was worth more than 12k) I wasn't injured, she had a small cut on her forehead. That being said, the accident was my fault so I was s***ing a brick, especially since my insurance only covered 25k of her claim (that's since been changed). Long story short, Geico assigned a staff attorney to the case, he asked me some questions and the case was settled between my insurance company and her lawyer for very little. I had accident forgiveness so my insurance never went up and I was fully reimbursed for my truck. Geico gets a lot of flack on this forum for how they handle claims but I am still with them because of how this was handled.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
cjm1261

Gods way of telling you it's time for a 5.0!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I recommend getting a good lawyer and fighting the ticket. If she was making an illegal turn you shouldn't have been cited.

Earl
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Well, I got a call from my insurance adjuster. We are at a total about $8,200-ish. I went up to the collision center after work and they don't have a problem with me adding a new hood from AM. I'm really excited about that since the hood is $560 cheaper and I can use whatever money I save towards my deducible, which is only $500.

I haven't signed any checks over to the collision center yet since I want to make sure I am getting my car with everything I want. I'll probably sign everything over tomorrow or the next day.

Also, got an email back from my insurance company and they are saying that the people are only experiencing minor stuff. I'll find out more within the week. Thank goodness. I am really glad that nobody got hurt out of all of this.

Originally Posted by MadStang40

So I can tell you that you're definitely getting a new bumper and a new hood, though I'm sure you already knew that. Glad to hear you're ok though. Even at low speeds, you can get seriously messed up. My first accident was only at about 25mph and I had to call out of work that night because my back was getting worse by the hour only a couple of hours afterwards.

1) Now you can get a new front end! There's the silver lining, I suppose. Time to upgrade!

2) Definitely look into the defensive driving course. Even if your rates don't go up, this would definitely help you escape from future incidents. It's only a matter of time until your DD gets messed up by others' carelessness.
That car is AMAZING looking, way better than what mine looks like. Haha. I have already planned on taking a DD course. I've been in one before and they aren't too fun to take, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Let's hope that my daily doesn't ever get injured, it's been through too much to handle anything else. I love that truck so much, even if nobody else likes it. Probably why I won't get rid of it. I'm glad I didn't sell it just for this reason.

Originally Posted by danman0469
What'd the Kia look like?
Before or after? I think it was a 2008 Kia Optima. It looked really clean, and the driver said she got it back in January. THAT made me feel like crap. I know that if I just got a car and somebody slid into me, i'd be upset. Especially after only having it 3 months.

As far as damage goes, from what I remember, there was one dent the size of my fist, and maybe a few other small ones. Pretty sure the only thing she will need is a bumper.

Originally Posted by chain1
I had a similar thing happen and the other driver sued me for 350k.
This is what I fear the most. I don't want her to come after to me for anything. If everything goes through, and my insurance pays her medical expenses, can she come back and sue me afterwards? Or once she's paid, it's done and over with.

Originally Posted by cjm1261
Gods way of telling you it's time for a 5.0!!!
I really thought about trading up, but I don't think I could afford 1) The payments, or 2) The insurance. I'm paying almost equally for both and now with this, I wouldn't want to think about what it would be with a V8. I'll keep it in the back of my mind though.

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
I recommend getting a good lawyer and fighting the ticket. If she was making an illegal turn you shouldn't have been cited.
If I had the money, I would hire a lawyer, but then I would have to take more time off work and fly back down to GA to settle everything. If I did have the money, then i'd be all over that.

I hate to hijack the thread, even though I don't think it's possible since it's mine, but just a quick question. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 Camaro LS 6 speed. I'm pretty sure that he would stop all over me on a drag strip. In order to be on par with him, am I going to have to go F/I? My plans for this car got put to a complete stop with this accident and now I have a goal to work towards.

Thanks everyone for all the responses and sorry for the long post. I like try and address everyone the responds.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6

I hate to hijack the thread, even though I don't think it's possible since it's mine, but just a quick question. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 Camaro LS 6 speed. I'm pretty sure that he would stop all over me on a drag strip. In order to be on par with him, am I going to have to go F/I? My plans for this car got put to a complete stop with this accident and now I have a goal to work towards.

Thanks everyone for all the responses and sorry for the long post. I like try and address everyone the responds.
Sorry about the accident OP, and glad everything is getting sorted!

Anyway about the 11 camaro- There is a guy on S/S here who has the 4.0L with a tune and CAI who kept up with a fully optioned out 11 v6 camaro. I think the maro kept a bumper on him for most of the runs but never pulled on him. You could ask over there and see if he comments about it.

I would say you need a CAI/tune, tlok, gears, maybe some better tires if you still have the crappy stock ones, and you could do very well with the camaro IMO- maybe pull on him, that +4000 lbs. monster is too heavy for its own good. Though if you want to all out beat the pants off the guy you need to go F/I.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Accidents suck. Glad to hear you were not hurt. Fix the car better like Wade did.

Quick Reply: Crashed my beautiful car (TL;DR at the bottom)