Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed my beautiful car (TL;DR at the bottom)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I have a restoration/custom shop and I welcome collision stuff, especially with this Economy...
It's quick turn around money that pay the bills while you have project cars taking too long (relatively) and you don't get paid until it's done so you better get the quick stuff.

As far as adjusters, I have a good relationship with most of them... Even with the ones from Geico, which is just about the worst company to deal with when it comes to claims.
And yes, lots of customers are a pain and in your case, I know that they'll give you hell to get OEM stuff so they can get aftermarket cr@p and put the savings towards their deductible.
They think the Appraisers don't know that, lol.
Shops will also do the same thing for the same reasons...
I always thought progressive was the biggest PITA to work with. I know of a few shops that refuse to take progressive work, but none that have thrown GEICO out. Maybe just a regional thing, though.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
For those arguing about whether he can be sued or not, that is a question of state law. It all depends upon your state and what the rules are there. So calling the one poster's friend stupid for "allowing" himself to be sued and not just sending them to his insurance company ....... well unless you know the law for the state where it happened then you don't have a basis for any opinion. What you say MAY be true for your state (and that isn't the case even in no-fault jurisdictions, depends upon other factors in the suit) it isn't automatically true for a different state.

And as far as the OP getting the ticket - in most jurisdictions (I believe all but I don't know for sure) there is a presumption of fault (and a ticket) to the person who rear ends a car.

And yes, before you ask, I am an attorney but don't practice in that area of the law but did have to study it to pass the bar many years ago.
Is Michigan one of those states that allows a person to ignore the indemnification of my insurance company and pursue me directly while I have intact coverage limits? If that's the case, I guarantee I will never step foot in that state, or any other state that basically turns my insurance policy into a useless (but expensive) piece of paper.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by mustang0672
Things happen, damage could have been worse. That is weird that you got a ticket for following too close. My brother rear ended a tahoe a week ago in his corvette going 45 and didn't even get a ticket. 30mph can do a bit of damage but it could have been like that
Lack of a citation does not mean he was not at fault. The report that the officer assembled will identify fault (if any), regardless of whether or not a ticket was issued. And your insurance company uses this to determine any fault or premium increases.

As for the ticket: Striking any vehicle from behind, even if the vehicle was making an illegal turn, is almost always ruled the fault of the driver striking the other vehicle. It does not absolve the driver of the vehicle that was struck from his/her fault, but it is always your responsibilty to ensure that you can stop you own vehicle.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 AM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
Yes, it was 4 lanes. 2 lanes, a double yellow, and 2 more lanes. She was in the left hand lane making the turn. There was no turn lane.

When I was on my phone with my insurance, she said that it was an illegal turn since there was no break in the double yellow line, therefore she shouldn't have been there.
No, she should not have been there, but you should not have hit her, either ...
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
I recommend getting a good lawyer and fighting the ticket. If she was making an illegal turn you shouldn't have been cited.

Earl
Incorrect.

From what has been posted thus far, she hadn't actually executed a turn. Can't be cited for something you INTEND to do.

Worst case, she could have been ticketed for impeeding traffic (if she had admitted or if impartial witness(es) confirmed she was stopped), but our fellow forum member still had an obligation to stop.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Yep, following too close for road conditions will get you everytime no matter what the person in front does or doesn't do.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 AM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by essayons
No, the driver you hit cannot sue you after this. If they try to, simply call your insurance company and they will handle it.
ANYBODY can sue ANYBODY for ANYTHING, so your statement is incorrect. And you still have to spend $$ to defend yourself, even if you are not at fault.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 AM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
Just a small little update:

Got a call from the adjuster and everything worked put with the hood. I'm heading into the collision shop tomorrow to go over all the damage paperwork to see if I can get things cheaper from American Muscle and to sign the check over to them so they can begin their work! I'm really am excited to see the finished product.
Never sign any checks until the work is done and you are satisfied with it. Otherwise, you have no leverage if the work does not meet your satisfation.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 AM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by StangisSwag
yea the police see it as his fault and it will always be that persons fault in this case but the fact of the matter is it is the kias fault, you cant assume that the op could swerve to avoid him because he might end up in a worse wreck
You cleary lack both knowledge of the law and logic/common sense.

If the Kia was stopped because it broke down, are they still at fault if someone isn't paying attention and hits them? No difference here.

You're not required to 'swerve' to avoid someone or something in the roadway. You ARE, however, responsible to pay attention and not travel in a manner or speed that will preclude you from STOPPING within an assured clear distance of any vehicle in front of you.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 AM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

on what grounds do you say i lack knowledge and common sense? the kia wasnt broken down and i was responding to someone who said he should of moved lanes...and he wasnt speeding from what he told us

you lack both...

Quick Reply: Crashed my beautiful car (TL;DR at the bottom)