Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI+Tune for highway driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

I was talking to a friend, and he asked if the Boss 302 uses a CAI. I looked, it has what looks like a regular air box, but it says cold air on it ...which is it?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
I was talking to a friend, and he asked if the Boss 302 uses a CAI. I looked, it has what looks like a regular air box, but it says cold air on it ...which is it?
It's technically not a cold air intake. It's better than what the 05-09 had but isn't the same as what you'd buy from AM or Brenspeed
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

So that begs the question, why not put a CAI stock on a Boss 302? Its certainly not an expense issue is it? Emissions?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigcanoe
So that begs the question, why not put a CAI stock on a Boss 302? Its certainly not an expense issue is it? Emissions?
Many reasons. Listen, Ford does a great job on these vehicles, however regulations and costs (and the consumers to be honest) dictate quite a bit of what they are able to do. They build a great car, but there's always room for improvement.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
higher octane tune = more power. can't comment on the rest!

That pretty much sums it up.. It surprises me when Mustang owners talk about miles per gallon...
Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
That pretty much sums it up.. It surprises me when Mustang owners talk about miles per gallon...
Really? Its my only car, and I have to drive it 60 miles a day...and gas is going up...I want it all, thats all
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Sounds good my man.. You got the power of a V-8 in a V-6 platform. You are most def right.. You got the best of both worlds. Have you thought about buying a Neon, Civic or something (work car)?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:53 PM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

Crossed my mind, but I dont drive on the weekends much, so I enjoy my time in the stang! I will just have to live with 27mpg on regular gas (pretty nice actually)

Hope it lasts a few 100k miles
Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
It's technically not a cold air intake. It's better than what the 05-09 had but isn't the same as what you'd buy from AM or Brenspeed
On the newer models like my 2010 GT, Ford uses the literal definition of a "Cold Air" intake, they have a closed box with an opening on the lower front right side that draws cool air from the radiator area into the intake, rather than pulling and warm air from the engine compartment. However that closed box definitely limits air flow through the syste, aftermarkets use larger cone filters to get more air into the system allowing that plus tuning to create better performance. But as many have said, that performance boost usually results in fun but gas guzzling enjoyment.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

shaving off weight is about the best you can hope for to gain mpg's(like lose 500lbs and you should see better highway mpg)... tunes and mods aren't going to do it. with lighter weight or more aerdoynamic cars highway cruising doesn't take as much power to push the vehicle.

sell the mustang and buy ford fiesta if you want mpgs...

The cold air induction is an air inlet tube that goes into the airbox, from the front of the vehicle. Steeda uses that same air inlet to keep the air cool their aftermarket one.

Ford doesn't do the factory CAI like the JLT, Steeda and C&L for several reasons i'm sure, cost, most consumers wouldn't know what to do with it, since they are used to a regularly replaced air filter, these you are supposed to clean and oil. Then there is emissions as well. The 2010 mustang has been the only mustang released recently that hasn't benefited from some type of CAI system.

Quick Reply: CAI+Tune for highway driving