Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9R3Z-14D212-A Sync kit and hands free

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

The seller still has these on eBay. He will list one for $63.99 with shipping and also at the same time, list one starting at $30 for bidding. I bought mine last week. I paid 42 for the bid one, but he will not ship to HI or AK. It's funny, since he ships via USPS flat rate boxes, and it wouldn't cost him anything more to send to me. He could of just put my address and shipped it and I would of had it earlier. I had to go thru a friend to shp it to me, but for $42, I didn't mind paying another $11 to get it the rest of the way to AK. Perfect timing as I'm going to finish putting my ambient console and ambient lighting in this weekend also, now that my CS front bumper is on. (Pics to come soon).
Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 AM
johnny99

Latest test subject here. I've got a 2008 (8/2007). Shaker 1000 with a phone button but display was "mute" when button pressed. Owners manual also said it was a mute button. Installed the kit and display changed to "no phone". added a phone and other than voice activation the phone works. Can also play music from a thumbdrive and with a BT stream from my phone. I just found out that the line in no longer works though.

I swapped the apim for one from a 2009 Milan (9L3T-14D212-BA THRU BC) which comes up as compatible with 2009 Mustang. The buttons for phone and ok started working on the HMI however the voice activation/recognition is still a no go. Not sure of my next step, possibly try to update the module software. I was hoping this module would allow voice to function as it has for others.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnny99
Latest test subject here. I've got a 2008 (8/2007). Shaker 1000 with a phone button but display was "mute" when button pressed. Owners manual also said it was a mute button. Installed the kit and display changed to "no phone". added a phone and other than voice activation the phone works. Can also play music from a thumbdrive and with a BT stream from my phone. I just found out that the line in no longer works though.

I swapped the apim for one from a 2009 Milan (9L3T-14D212-BA THRU BC) which comes up as compatible with 2009 Mustang. The buttons for phone and ok started working on the HMI however the voice activation/recognition is still a no go. Not sure of my next step, possibly try to update the module software. I was hoping this module would allow voice to function as it has for others.
Sounds like you need to have Ford program your BT setup. I would call around to get prices. I was lucky enough to find that my local dealer outsourced that work to a local car audio shop. He charged me $40 to do the programming.
I don't think there is any other way to get the voice stuff to work.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 AM
johnny99

Thanks. unfortunately mines a 2008 so they won't able to program it
Old 06-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Backbone

Originally Posted by johnny99

Ive been searching multiple forums to get a good idea of what to expect from this, the line in/aux not working does trouble me, but when you hook the phone up through the USB, doesnt it play through the usb port, so the line in isnt really an issue.
EXCEPT... some people (like me), like to use a dedicated Ipod for music....

Is there a way to keep the aux that anyone knows of?

-Josh
Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Backbone
Ive been searching multiple forums to get a good idea of what to expect from this, the line in/aux not working does trouble me, but when you hook the phone up through the USB, doesnt it play through the usb port, so the line in isnt really an issue.
EXCEPT... some people (like me), like to use a dedicated Ipod for music....

Is there a way to keep the aux that anyone knows of?

-Josh
Since it is USB, why couldn't you use a splitter cable (2 into 1) and use one link to the Ipod and the other to the phone? Each USB port is good for 4 things to run thru it, so running a splitter would only be using 1/2 the capability. I received one of those with a Boss DVD head, and it was just a simple splitter. The literature that came with it, showed that scenario. That might work for you. Just a thought.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Finally got my kit installed this past weekend. Took it to the dealer today for programming, and they were not able to get the sync module to take the program. They believe the module is bad. All the functions (except remote) work fine for me. The tech worked on it for about 2.5 hours. I ended up paying $135 for the labor. I double checked the connections that were made at the data connector under the dash, and they were fine. Other connections also seem to be fine. The tech did mention that this was the first one of these he'd ever seen. He said he went through all the instructions, but his equipment would not communicate with the SYNC module. Needless to say, I was bummed. I think at this point I'll cut my losses and leave things as they are. Any changes I'd make mean additional $$ that I have to pay the dealer to try programming again. It does all I need it to do (make and receive calls) - I was just hoping to get a few of the additional functions that the remote offers.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM
dpower

Its been a while since anyone has posted to this thread but I figured I'd give my feedback in case it helps anyone. I have a 2008 Mustang GT Conv. with Shaker 1000 - it has the 'phone' button instead of mute.

I recently bought the 9R3Z-14D212-A sync package for about $300 off of Amazon. Installation was easy (removing trim, removing radio, routing cables behind dash, microphone routing to the driver side pillar, reinstalling existing trim).

The only tricky part is the splicing of the 3 wires (two on the driver's side into the diagnostics port and 1 power wire for the microphone into the left footwell power panel). While the splicing could be somewhat tricky for folks with little experience doing this, its straightforward on the driver's side - at least the wires to match up with are obvious. Not so much with the left side power wire. The red wire needs to be spliced into a light blue/Red wire - now upon examination there are several very similar wires on that particular port. The wire you are looking for is dominantly light blue with a red(more pinkish) tinted stripe.

One of the biggest points of confusion I saw in these threads was folks with a non-working microphone after the install. If this is the case, most likely you have either a bad splice on the red wire or you have spliced the red wire into the wrong light blue/red wire. I did it wrong the first time myself and only on the second attempt did I realize I was spliced into the wrong wire.

Assuming your wiring is correct, upon completion you will be able to access the sync system under the AUX option on the radio and pair your phone/BT devices. From the radio menus you should be able to make/receive calls, stream music, skip tracks, etc. However voice control AND the sync three-button wired remote will NOT work. These will not work without the ACM being reprogrammed which may or may not be possible with your model/year. I am at this point and honestly, I've found the ford dealerships in my area to be more than useless with Sync in the past so chances are, I am stuck at this point. But being able to answer my phone by hitting the phone button on my radio and being able to stream music over BTW, I am more than happy...

By the way, if anyone knows anyone in the Syracuse NY area that could perform the sync programming for me, drop me a note ;-)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 AM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpower
Its been a while since anyone has posted to this thread but I figured I'd give my feedback in case it helps anyone. I have a 2008 Mustang GT Conv. with Shaker 1000 - it has the 'phone' button instead of mute. ... But being able to answer my phone by hitting the phone button on my radio and being able to stream music over BTW, I am more than happy...

By the way, if anyone knows anyone in the Syracuse NY area that could perform the sync programming for me, drop me a note ;-)
I am at the same point. My son got me this for Christmas. The wire splicing was tricky but not impossible. I have a friend at the dealership so I took it over on a Saturday. they got it registered with Ford so I can go on SYNC my Ride. The programming failed due to a bad lap top so I still don't have voice activation. He didn't charge me so I'm not out any money. I also love the hands free and the streaming. I'm going to take it back in a few weeks so he can try a different laptop.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:58 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

There are a couple of YouTube videos showing how to correct this problem by getting another module, from the wrecking yards or donor vehicle. If you get one from a car that had voice activated SYNC, then it will plug and play and work. I tried this the other day when my microphone quit working. I read where there was problems getting the mics to work all the time. They would be spotty at best. I put in another module and it works better than ever. The module came from an 09' Fusion with SYNC and navigation. It had the same Ford service number. I had a spare in my junk and after the YouTube video, decided to see if that would improve my SYNC system. It did. No more microphone fading. I do believe that is the cure for the 08's and back Mustangs. Use the new 14D212 kit, and get a programmed module from a wrecking yard. It saves going to the dealer for the reprogramming in most cases. I believe it was shown on a Mercury Milan, but the same results. That might make it easier to find on YouTube.

Also, if you go with the module change, make sure you get the right design. There is a first and second design. The 14D212 kit takes the second design module. It should have a #9 starting number to be 100% compatible. The #8's can be either 1st or 2nd design, so check your 2 small plug ins to make sure they are correct for your harness. I hope that helps you guys out. Good luck.

Last edited by akdoggie; 03-14-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 9R3Z-14D212-A Sync kit and hands free