Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9R3Z-14D212-A Sync kit and hands free

Old 03-14-2014, 01:33 PM
dpower

Well I finally found a dealer who was willing to attempt the final step, the programming of the ACM. They stated right off the bat that I was the first person who had come to them with sync installed as an add-on. I will print out the instructions on programming for them and bring them with me to the appoint which is next Tuesday BTW. I will let folks know how it goes. I'm hoping that all goes well and I'll have working voice control when they are done!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Just so that people know, the kits are still available on eBay for $64.00 from the same guy who's been around forever. He has sold 117 of them so far. Great kit, and great price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-STOCK-FACTORY-FORD-SYNC-HANDS-FREE-BLUETOOTH-PHONE-VOICE-KIT-/251219233257?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7dd549e9&vxp=mtr
Originally Posted by dpower
Its been a while since anyone has posted to this thread but I figured I'd give my feedback in case it helps anyone. I have a 2008 Mustang GT Conv. with Shaker 1000 - it has the 'phone' button instead of mute.

I recently bought the 9R3Z-14D212-A sync package for about $300 off of Amazon. Installation was easy (removing trim, removing radio, routing cables behind dash, microphone routing to the driver side pillar, reinstalling existing trim).

The only tricky part is the splicing of the 3 wires (two on the driver's side into the diagnostics port and 1 power wire for the microphone into the left footwell power panel). While the splicing could be somewhat tricky for folks with little experience doing this, its straightforward on the driver's side - at least the wires to match up with are obvious. Not so much with the left side power wire. The red wire needs to be spliced into a light blue/Red wire - now upon examination there are several very similar wires on that particular port. The wire you are looking for is dominantly light blue with a red(more pinkish) tinted stripe.

One of the biggest points of confusion I saw in these threads was folks with a non-working microphone after the install. If this is the case, most likely you have either a bad splice on the red wire or you have spliced the red wire into the wrong light blue/red wire. I did it wrong the first time myself and only on the second attempt did I realize I was spliced into the wrong wire.

Assuming your wiring is correct, upon completion you will be able to access the sync system under the AUX option on the radio and pair your phone/BT devices. From the radio menus you should be able to make/receive calls, stream music, skip tracks, etc. However voice control AND the sync three-button wired remote will NOT work. These will not work without the ACM being reprogrammed which may or may not be possible with your model/year. I am at this point and honestly, I've found the ford dealerships in my area to be more than useless with Sync in the past so chances are, I am stuck at this point. But being able to answer my phone by hitting the phone button on my radio and being able to stream music over BTW, I am more than happy...

By the way, if anyone knows anyone in the Syracuse NY area that could perform the sync programming for me, drop me a note ;-)
Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM
dpower

Well I finally found a dealer who was willing to attempt the final step, the programming of the ACM. They stated right off the bat that I was the first person who had come to them with sync installed as an add-on. I will print out the instructions on programming for them and bring them with me to the appoint which is next Tuesday BTW. I will let folks know how it goes. I'm hoping that all goes well and I'll have working voice control when they are done!
Ok, well that was a bust. They couldn't get my '08 updated - using the stock VIN the OASIS software basically told them that the car couldn't have sync installed (even though it is installed and working - just without voice commands). They even tried the trick of specifying another VIN from an '09 that was upgrade able but the OASIS software kept defaulting back to my car's VIN - shame! After two hours they gave up. Being a tech guy here, I wish I could have just been given the equipment (VCM and laptop with OASIS installed) and had a crack at it myself.

Has ANYONE out there with an '08 been able to get their ACM reprogrammed and gotten voice commands to work? Would love to hear from you...
Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

YES> I did and it worked by using a preprogrammed module from a wrecked Fusion with SYNC & Navigation. I have a head from an 09 Sable (nav), and install the Sync kit. It worked but the mic would go in and out. I saw an YouTube video for this and decided since i had a used module sitting around, why not try it. It cleared the slight static I had and now the microphone is functional 100% if the time. Big difference. I have also installed a 13 steering wheel from a Boss Mustang, and now have all my steering wheel controls available. It is a great set up, once you get it figured out.

About three of us have collaborated on getting this to work, and have finally figured out the 07-08's. Prior, 05-06's, I don't know for sure. I do know that if you have an #6 or #7 style head, you won't be able to hook up the strg controls, using the older heads without changing some wires. I used an 8G1T-18K931-EA head to make my set up work.

There is a video on YouTube that shows the swap out and the change when he did it. Quite easy, once you get some direction. I enjoy my 07, with factory navigation and factory Sync. It's what they left out of our cars in 07 that should of been available.

I made a write up on installing the steering wheel controls, a step by step to set them up. I posted it on two sites, this one and also on Mustang Source. It is about 3 pages of wiring and pictures of how to hook everything up. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by akdoggie; 03-19-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Ok, well that was a bust. They couldn't get my '08 updated - using the stock VIN the OASIS software basically told them that the car couldn't have sync installed (even though it is installed and working - just without voice commands). They even tried the trick of specifying another VIN from an '09 that was upgrade able but the OASIS software kept defaulting back to my car's VIN - shame! After two hours they gave up. Being a tech guy here, I wish I could have just been given the equipment (VCM and laptop with OASIS installed) and had a crack at it myself.

Has ANYONE out there with an '08 been able to get their ACM reprogrammed and gotten voice commands to work? Would love to hear from you...

I ran into similar issues with the SYNC module on my '09. In the end they worked for a couple of hours to program it and could not get it to work. I was out $130. I don't think that Ford sold enough of these kits for the dealers to know much about them. I'm thinking now about calling some of the larger car audio places in town. I believe that they also can do car software programming and hopefully they have a better understanding of what needs to be done.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 AM
redrocks

I did this upgrade on my '10, and got the voice commands working, by using used parts bought on ebay: sync module, and autodim mirror with mike. There's another thread on the forums with details on how to do this (thanks, hdvalente).

Used sync modules are available for < $100 on ebay (cheaper than dealer programming), and I think the sync upgrade kit is still around for about $60.

I have a leftover sync module from a wreck that worked fine in my setup (ended up with two from ebay). I'll sell for $55 + shipping if anyone is interested--PM me.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

It looks like redrocks did the same as we did. Use the new kit, a Job2 head (chrome on the ***** for volume etc) and the SYNC kit (14D212) and an used 2nd generation module, you should be able to make it work correctly. If you need the steering controls, there is a write up on here on how to make them work correctly.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Pares1

Default need assistance

I have a 2013 v6 convertible and installed the module successfully but can't figure the colors to connect the white and white/blue into the dlc. Looks like the wires have a different color. any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-20-2014, 12:18 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

IT doesn't matter if your car has a different color schematic. Just make sure that you connect to the correct port pins. Ford has changed colors thru the years, but they still connect to the same positions on the DTC.

Theoretically, the only pin that needs hooked up is the one to the SJB. The two at the DTC are only for updating the system thru the port or checking thru the port. That is the only function of the two wires to the DTC.

Remember, if you install this kit, it will only function in certain areas. The microphone seems to be the Number 1 problem when doing this update without a dealer handly. It comes programmed to do only basic commands, so that the dealer can program it to do what is necessary. Most of us, who have added the SYNC and don't have dealers who can do the reprogram, have bought a used, programmed module (9---14D212-BC or CB's) to make the system work from the start up. I took a module out of an 09 and it worked great. Your 13, may require a later (A, B or C prefix number) module, since it has the later style head. Hope that helps you out.

Here a copy of page 7 on hooking up the DTC. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails 9R3Z-14D212-A Sync kit and hands free-sync-dtc-install.jpg  

Last edited by akdoggie; 06-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Pares1

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by akdoggie
IT doesn't matter if your car has a different color schematic. Just make sure that you connect to the correct port pins. Ford has changed colors thru the years, but they still connect to the same positions on the DTC.

Theoretically, the only pin that needs hooked up is the one to the SJB. The two at the DTC are only for updating the system thru the port or checking thru the port. That is the only function of the two wires to the DTC.

Remember, if you install this kit, it will only function in certain areas. The microphone seems to be the Number 1 problem when doing this update without a dealer handly. It comes programmed to do only basic commands, so that the dealer can program it to do what is necessary. Most of us, who have added the SYNC and don't have dealers who can do the reprogram, have bought a used, programmed module (9---14D212-BC or CB's) to make the system work from the start up. I took a module out of an 09 and it worked great. Your 13, may require a later (A, B or C prefix number) module, since it has the later style head. Hope that helps you out.

Here a copy of page 7 on hooking up the DTC. Good luck.
. Thank you very much. I got the microphone working with no issues and will attempt to get the dealer to program. Anyway for the cost, having Bluetooth and USB port for music is totally worth it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9R3Z-14D212-A Sync kit and hands free