Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have you shipped wheels, or tires before?..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Default have you shipped wheels, or tires before?..

I shipped wheels once before - it was a pain in the ***. impossible to find an appropriate sized box that isn't too large and even more costly to ship etc.

ultimately had to have Fedex pack and ship them. I had quotes from both ups and fedex retail locations and unfortunately, it cost over 200$ to ship 4 18" wheels. between safe packing material and just box size and weight, it was spendy.

I have some 19" wheels from the brembo package, and tires (dismounted). I am thinking about offering them up for shipping since I'm not finding a local buyer immediately but tend to see demand for this on a national llevel.. but I don't know if I want to go through that hassle again - and the cost is multiplied since the tires are dismounted.

is there an easier way to ship these things, at a reasonable cost, keeping them well protected etc? I know, I want something for nothing. just curious if there is a better way to do this. I have a daily UPS pickup at my work, but I dont know how I'd find the packing materials or what they would require in order to pick it up etc.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
JimC

I've heard of people using Greyhound for shipping wheels and tires.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I feel you man, I have the stock wheels and tires from my 08 GT that I sold and I would almost give them away. I also have a set of FRPP 4.10 gears (probably 5k miles on them), the front and rear sway bars, and the manifold/airbox. I hate being wasteful but if I get an assignment our of here (Air Force), I'm gonna end up pitching that stuff, I have zero room for it. Best of luck.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I just hate shipping difficult items. I don't have experience in it and I don't know how to make it cost effective. maybe I should just make the local price a killer deal and eat the loss to avoid the trouble.

I started the price rather high expecting some folks on craigslist to lowball me, but no nibbles yet. maybe my starting price is too high and scaring people away rather then getting any offers.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I shipped the stock 17" rims from my truck to California for $120 through UPS. I ended up using the 4 boxes from my car rims and some bubble wrap. Took them to the UPS store, paid, and went on my way. It definitely sucks trying to find the right size boxes and it's good to get all of the shipping stuff together before putting them up for sale and avoid all the stress. As far as the Craigslist add, just put "make offer", and negotiate from there.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Living in Hawaii you get high shipping prices on everything. I bought my wheels and tires through tirerack.com They came with thick cardboard over the metal rims with the rubber exposed. They were in perfect condition. The driver literally rolled them from his truck to my porch one at a time. It was awesome. LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I had a full set of 17 inch GT rims with the Pirellis shipped via USPS from Kentucky to Anchorage, AK. Cost 220 for all in individual boxes, so considering the alternative of new, vs used, I went the used route. All in all, I had $570 into them, with only 500 miles on them. At the time it was a good deal. I would do that again, for the right set of wheels and tires. JMO
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Wouldn't it be just as easy to put them on a pallet and have an LTL (trucking) company ship them? I think it's like $150 depending on where it's going.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

You may also want to try to find a local wheel/tire place (like DiscountTire) and ask if they have any 18" boxes you could have. Then just tape the tires together like TireRack does (2 each) and ship them away. I only paid $65 to ship 4 tires a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
Wouldn't it be just as easy to put them on a pallet and have an LTL (trucking) company ship them? I think it's like $150 depending on where it's going.
not a terrible idea. I will check into that.

re: tire shipping, if you have exposed tires just tapped to one another in sets of 2, will places like UPS accept that with a label on it and still ship em? who did you go through for that? Thanks.

Quick Reply: have you shipped wheels, or tires before?..