Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFE Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hinojosa
so if i get any CAI and tune it i should get similar results wether i pay 194 or 330?
A tune will make more than just a CAI..A CAI kit is not just about cold air. Other advantages of new intake plumbing: less restriction. This may be a result of a more-porous filter, larger intake tube diameter, smoother plumbing, or less bends and turns in the plumbing. By looking at the AFE kit, I dun see anything better than stock air box other than a bigger air filter, which does nearly nothing.
The reason some intakea need a tune, is the bigger intake tube that flows a lot more air.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

http://www.steedablog.com/2012/03/mu...-intake-truth/
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rainson
A tune will make more than just a CAI..A CAI kit is not just about cold air. Other advantages of new intake plumbing: less restriction. This may be a result of a more-porous filter, larger intake tube diameter, smoother plumbing, or less bends and turns in the plumbing. By looking at the AFE kit, I dun see anything better than stock air box other than a bigger air filter, which does nearly nothing.
The reason some intakea need a tune, is the bigger intake tube that flows a lot more air.
if you look at the ford racing CAI, its identical to the stock air box, except it has a air filter in the end, so its also not that good?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:13 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

that AFE tubing so small i cant see how you can pull much more air other than the filter but, it seems to (just me) that you would max out that tubing, if you look at products such as the jlt and c&L there tubing is twice the size allowing more air flow with less resitance, (again i could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time) if it was me i would spend a couple more dollars and get a bigger induction
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hinojosa
if you look at the ford racing CAI, its identical to the stock air box, except it has a air filter in the end, so its also not that good?
OMG....read the product info before you ask....
and if you don't get it, click on either CAI tune required kit (not combo), there's a link says
"why a tune required".

anyways, I'll link it here....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/why-tu...cai-popup.html
Old 03-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rainson
OMG....read the product info before you ask....
and if you don't get it, click on either CAI tune required kit (not combo), there's a link says
"why a tune required".

anyways, I'll link it here....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/why-tu...cai-popup.html
i did read the description long before posting this thread, but someone stated that the more curves it had, the less it would perform, and as i said, if its identical to stock, therefore its not the best product for the money
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

I think you missed the most important part... the FRPP CAI has a 85MM MAF housing, comparing to the stock 76mm, it's 11+% more air running pass the MAF sensor...That's why I asked you to check out the video before asking..
If you dun get a tune for that 11% more air, some how there's a thing called "check engine light" will annoy you..

those no tune CAI, all of them are equiped with the 76mm MAF housing, which is as same as the oem size to avoid computer error.

The curve part is for general CAI kits, not just for s197 Mustangs. most CAI for S197 has a huge curve anyways.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You actually BELIEVE the advertised info? Really?

At best, you'll gain 3-5 RWHP, tops, w/o a tune. But dingo ***** hung from ther headliner; now THERE'S some power gain... I read it somewhere...
Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A CAI can have a maul the size of the grand canyon but if the computer can't compensate for the extra air (plus the engine has to be capable of passing the extra air) it doesn't do a bit of good. You're being swayed by bullchit advertising hype.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
A CAI can have a maul the size of the grand canyon but if the computer can't compensate for the extra air (plus the engine has to be capable of passing the extra air) it doesn't do a bit of good. You're being swayed by bullchit advertising hype.
so funny lol, .. the C&L has a 90mm MAF Housing, one of the reasons i went with it

Quick Reply: AFE Cold Air Intake