Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whelp. Crashed my car. Again.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Then here is the question we all want the answer to.

Will it be fixed? And I recommend you take your tuner and put the governor on that engine.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Actually MadStang I wasn't referring to you because I began typing that block before I saw you posted, besides, you were totally fair in what you said. And really, so was everyone else, but you have to understand, it does get to be grating. As for the laptop I do a lot of work for people relating to computers between Lightwave, Photoshop, light CAD, tons of music, some pirating, art, etc. I'll be able to do most of my schoolwork without a top end laptop for sure, but a lot of the none-academic things I do may suffer greatly. 'Course, those are more wants then needs, but I will miss being able to edit 6000x8000 vector images and free movies.
Depending on the school you attend and the classes you're taking, you may very well be able to use those programs to complete fun projects in the graphic design dept. I got my minor in graphic design and never had any trouble doing my work in the schools labs. Don't worry too much about that stuff.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Well, I can say one thing. I'm glad you're alive brotha.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Well.. I'm glad you aren't dead. Don't do this again.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I'd stay away from the crotch rockets man. Just from seeing people drive in the Midwest alone should be your first deterrent lol. I had a 250r back in 09(ish) when my parents first gave me the ok, and had a car jam it's *** upto my license plate and throw me off the side of an entry ramp to a highway.

Ended up messing up my knee, and still have "ghost pains" to this day. Not to mention riding it is roughly a 3 month thing here haha. IMO don't feel too bad, the money is better spent on the mustang. These things are pretty safe from what I've seen, and if you were on a bike when this accident happened, you would have been thrown off and over that guard rail with broken limbs and a concussion. Probably a totaled bike too.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Well I couldn't take many pictures because I have been busy today, and she got towed from my house, so all I have for you guys right now is these 3.

Note in this pic I actually pulled some of the fender off the wheel to drive it back home with a crowbar, but the plastic wheel liner was less forgiving and was still pushing on the tire.
That shouldn't be 5k in damage, look around on Craigslist and eBay for the fenders, you can usually find a cheap set.

Glad you're okay, man.

By the way, ignore the people who act like they were perfect when they were young. We all know that's not the case, it's part of growing up. Some people get lucky and never have to learn the hard way, others don't. I learned the hard way that having a phone in the car is not a safe thing. It happens.

If you want to find out the limits of your car, take it to a track or an abandoned mall parking lot after a light rain (this is what I did). It's probably saved me from a few wrecks. Or, you could take the Driving Skills for Life program offered by Ford. It's free and it's tailored to us young guys. Oh, and it's really fun.

Last edited by 4LiterSonic; 03-28-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Damn that sucks, Mustang.
I hope you can get her all fixed up.

As for the other comments, its clear that you realize what you did was stupid and you're paying for it. For others to act as if they have never had a close call in their cars it ridiculous. I know I have and it was only by pure luck that I didn't end up in the same boat you're in a few times. Should this make you feel any better about your wreck? No. We all mess up, but as long as you really remember it and don't chalk it up to bad luck you'll be a safer driver.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Yes, the car will be getting fixed. I figure I have about 2 grand in liquid assets I can drop in the next few weeks and my parents may cover the rest until I can afford it, but they have made it clear to me that whatever debt I owe by the time I go to college will be taken out of college money. And on that note I have figured that I will need to borrow about 80K dollars for college even with the money my parents are going to give me, and if I owe them 3.5K, well, I'm just adding more branches to the fire.

As for the driving school ideas, I have several friends who actually race at tracks and autoX, and they taught me to drive almost as much as my parents did. I'd also like it to be noted that I have every intention of getting into autoX and was about 2 months away from getting struts, shocks, springs, and a panhard bar, because I was going to get into it over summer. Of course, I can't afford it now though.

Also, the damage extends past the pictures. The fender needs a full replacement, the quarter will need a big piece welded in, the door skin was actually peeled back a bit where it meets the fender so they have to weld that in too, then they have to get a new GT/CS bumper, a lot of small plastic brackets that hold the turn signal and headlight, a new headlight, a new turn signal, a new filter for the CAI (the fender pushed into it and cracked it), they have to straighten the hood just a bit, then they have to sand everything and paint it! Plus my rim has to be sent to a guy in Cleveland to be fixed for less then a new one would cost, and I need atleast 1 new tire. My rocker panel is also scratched so I may have them painted, but it might be cheaper just to get a new one. My gas cap is bent so that will have to be fixed as well, and the tail light is mis-aligned because the rear bumper and fender got pushed up. It is in the shop now and they are pulling the fender to check what is broken underneath and see if any suspension pieces are damaged. Did I forget to mention that the bent rim is sticking out at about a 15 degree angle and losing pressure fast? And those are only the things I can see myself. Who knows what kind of internal damage there may be? Point is, 4-5K is where this seems to put me right now.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Saw this thread on the forums for the past day or so, and didn't even click on it. Now...

First and foremost, glad you're okay, OP. Walking away from a crash to complain about it is the only thing you can pray for in any accident situation.

The first post you had, I have to agree with the majority of the guys that posted. It looked sloppy. You couldn't come off as more "kid pissed at the world because of your own incompetence". Someone before posted that "ah, we've all been there", and I did see "no we haven't" in response. So, yeah, I'm not going to say that ALL of us have been there, but it's more the rule than the exception to say that we've had crashes, accidents, and "oops" in our lives, I think. Hence, the reason that most parents give their kids a beater, rather than a brand new sports car, even if they do have the money. You need training wheels before you ride the bike, as it were.

I kind of rambled, but the track I meant to get on was that we've all had our wrecks. I had 2 major ones before I hit 22. One in a Plymouth Neon, and the other in a Toyota Avalon. Both totaled, because I didn't understand that other people don't have my driving responses, and because I misjudged the time it takes to accelerate and stop my own vehicle (which really says a lot about my own driving responses. ). However, what upsets me about what you see as crash threads on most forums, are that people rationalize about how it shouldnt've been their fault. Seeing your "only 5 miles over" in your first and second post are what got me.

The mustang, GT or V6, modified or not, is only as fast as, and has as good handling as, the driver behind the wheel. This crash, followed so quickly from your last, should be viewed as a learning experience. Most good curves aren't meant to be "safely" taken at even the speed limit, hence why there are the "curves ahead", "curve - 25mph" signs, etc. "only 5 over" means that you went way beyond what you were supposed to, with an experience level that you don't have as of yet.

Just a kid overestimating his abilities.
This is the best thing I saw in your post.

Originally Posted by wcgman
Here's the responsible thing for you to do. Before you put a PENNY into fixing that car, repay your parents. Second, before you think about putting a PENNY back into fixing that car, take a real driving class. When I say real, if you're going to drive like a banshee, then maybe it's time you actually spent some time behind the wheel with a pro so hopefully you'll learn the value of other people's lives as well as your own, then have some skill so you can take the car to the track instead of risking other people's well being on public roads.
This is the best thing I saw in other's posts. Maybe this accident will help you more on the moral responsibilities as well, such as repaying your financial debt, and remembering your social debt to not kill others due to driving inexperience and car unfamiliarity.

Bottom line: I don't mean to bash you. Just want you to learn. Learn your limits, learn your cars limits, and if you're in a driving situation where there's big money involved (IE, you're NOT going to report it to your insurance, and you DON'T have the money to pay for it straight out), take your foot off the accelerator, put it on the brake, and use more time than is necessary to get through that turn. Better than the alternative "learning experience" for the 3rd time. It could be me instead of a barrier. =)
Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I didn't mean anything as bashing and I apologize how harshly I came off. Based on one of your posts, you've certainly sounded off exactly how I kind of hoped you would at some point which was "ok, I get it and I've had enough."

Now, you need some help and that's where us old farts are supposed to set an example. I just pulled my stock LCA's off this weekend, I have my stock mufflers and I have some other stuff that came off mine when I installed the roushcharger. I dont know any of it will help you, but if you PM me we can chat about any of the spare parts I have and if I can help in any way. I am sorry this happened but trust me...things will work out over time and you'll be fine in the long term.

OP - this part isnt for you...it's for the folks who might think I've somehow claimed I was perfect. I sure as heck never said I was perfect. At 15, I end over ended a pickup. 16, I backed into a brand new car and did 7k in damage. 17 I fishtailed on ice cuz I lost my cool and sideswiped another car. I lost my license, then got arrested for driving without a license (funny enough in the pickup I had end-o'd!) Back in those days, lots of drinking, inhaling and swallowing substances that I'm ashamed of now, and lots of unprotected activities and was a free loader who barely graduated high school. Saw 3 friends die, one driving drunk (idiot), one when a pickup she was riding in the back rolled over onto her, and the third get shredded when he wrecked his bike. Back then, I was a real jerk and didnt realize it. But then I cleaned myself up, put myself through college, taught for a few years in public school, then went back to school and got an engineering degree and am pretty successful now. I've freely admitted that I drive aggressively, but I am working on it. Hell, I'm a work in progress in a lot more than just driving anymore! But having done some pretty stupid **** back in my youth, I am speaking from experience. God didn't make me perfect and I'm far from it but I never did claim I was, so please don't jump to conclusions about me And yes, sometimes I can come off as a real jerk, but I am trying to do what I believe is the right thing.

Quick Reply: Whelp. Crashed my car. Again.