Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whelp. Crashed my car. Again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang0672
Damn, I don't know how I missed them. Must be blind lol
Speaking of wrecks, didnt your brother wreck his vette? Whatever happened in the end with that?

Also...your ride just keeps looking better and better everytime I see it. No racing in that, okay? You wreck that we're all going to be sad to see that car getting scratched Race your Dad's cars
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
So you went into the turn doing 55-60+ mph in a 35 mph zone.........wow.
To be fair the speed limit was 55 on the road, wasn't like I was tearing it up before the turn or anything.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
To be fair the speed limit was 55 on the road, wasn't like I was tearing it up before the turn or anything.
I'm not trying to pick on you, but this is funny.

This literally makes me laugh out loud. It's sorta like telling a cop who just wrote you a ticket in a school zone for doing 55 "I was just on the highway a minute ago and since that was okay there, why is not here?"

Only difference is, you're paying a heck of a lot more out of pocket in damages then the ticket would have been.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I thought you stated the speed limit for the turn was 35 mph?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Probably the suggested speed limit.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:25 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Speed limit on the straight away was 55 (common on many back roads) and at the turn they change to a 20-35 usually for (obvious) safety reasons.

Originally Posted by wcgman
This literally makes me laugh out loud. It's sorta like telling a cop who just wrote you a ticket in a school zone for doing 55 "I was just on the highway a minute ago and since that was okay there, why is not here?"

Only difference is, you're paying a heck of a lot more out of pocket in damages then the ticket would have been.

I don't remember OP saying anything about speeding in a school zone, or getting cops/tickets involved. He didn't even try to justify his actions.

Very different scenario here. Thanks for playing.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 04-01-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I don't speed in school zones, neighborhoods, traffic, or any places with lots of people or cars. Also, I have never gotten a ticket, although I've been followed a few times.

And yes, it was the suggested speed limit set by engineers on the road rather then testing it. That is one of my major complaints with speed limits. They aren't always set on what is safe or reasonable, but by some guy sitting at his desk at 3am on Christmas eve. For example, in my town, the main drag has been rated by whatever agency rates roads at 45mph, but small town cops refuse to change the limit from 35 because they write more tickets that way.

Last edited by MustangFirstCar; 04-01-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I don't speed in school zones, neighborhoods, traffic, or any places with lots of people or cars. Also, I have never gotten a ticket, although I've been followed a few times.

And yes, it was the suggested speed limit set by engineers on the road rather then testing it. That is one of my major complaints with speed limits. They aren't always set on what is safe or reasonable, but by some guy sitting at his desk at 3am on Christmas eve. For example, in my town, the main drag has been rated by whatever agency rates roads at 45mph, but small town cops refuse to change the limit from 35 because they write more tickets that way.
You make a good point. Apparently one tactic that traffic attorneys use is to request when the last engineering survey was done and if it's been too long, then they can potentially use that to get you out of a ticket.

Where I live here in Colorado, they have gone traffic camera happy. They've made something like 3 million last year in revenue from it. That's crazy.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Lol you kinda have it backwards there man, but I agree with you nonetheless. When civil engineers get involved with this kind of stuff they need to take into account the locales (snow belt, etc.) as well as free-flowing speed (basically the minimum distance between each car) which can be tricky because that is influenced by the lead car in a pack so they need to set a median speed that allows for that lead car to still be fast enough to give the rest of the pack enough head way.

Moreover those traffic engineers have a system called the "85th percentile" where they survey the average speed 85% or more of the drivers are traveling at in similar roads around the area. They then use this to formulate a given speed limit.

Now once all that data is collected and reviewed and a logical/safe speed limit is determined for a road, the local politicians get involved and end up shooting it all to hell, and the limit is reduced randomly by 20-30% just so they are kept happy and (possibly) ticket revenue is kept on the up and up.

The engineers know exactly what speed that road is rated to take, but many idiots in high places seem to think lower speed limits are good revenue, and somehow going 25 instead of 35 will save the entire US eco-system.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 PM
IntentionallyChewy

Even professional drivers crash cars. It happens, so don't sweat it too much. Just learn what you can, and move on with your life.

Quick Reply: Whelp. Crashed my car. Again.