Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 base 5.0?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default 2012 base 5.0?

Hey guys I've been considering a mustang for awhile. I was thinking of trying to get a 13 V6 with a few options and then would most likely do the basic bolt-ons like drive shaft, CAI and tuner, exhaust, ect. but to get it where I would want it to say around 350hp or so that would add up pretty quick although I could do it a little at a time. I keep going back and forth bet. wanting a stang and another genesis coupe. It looks like a new base 2.0t is going to be around 25.5k and I don't like the dealer. So for the heck of it I looked up the 12 GT on truecar to see what kind of deals there were. To my surprise a dealer called me with a tentative offer of 25.6k for a base 12 silver GT. I really didn't want another silver car as my last two have been, but that seems like a pretty good deal. I like the looks of the 13's better as well as the track app and the leather steering wheel, ect. but I know I can't afford a 13 GT and you can always get an aftermarket steering wheel and I wouldn't really need any mods with over 400hp. I'll still have to check out what kind of financing I can get and insurance, ect., but if I can swing a deal around $400 or so a month, which I don't know if that is possible? But maybe I can even get a little on trade in on my lease since the Hyundai dealer said I probably have some equity in it since the residual is pretty low. What do you guys think? I'm thinking I should at least check it out even though its up in Mich. Maybe he can locate a trade for gray or black and then it would be awesome.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 AM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

I was extremely close to buying a 2012 base GT brembo pkg for 26K. You can always add leather and the upgraded steering wheel for cheap. Roush has an eBay store that sells them. I ended up locating a GT Premium Brembo and I could not be happier. The 13's are nice but the 3K off made the deal for me. That enabled me to get a lower note and a few mods! Good luck. The one thing I would not do (my opinion) is buy the 2013 V6 when you can get a 2012 V8.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I know the 2012 GT would be great, but a 2013 premium V6 would be right around the same price. I don't know, the interior would be nicer in the premium with the mycolor and the 2013 upgrades like track app and the rear lights and I like the premium wheels better. I don't know if I would be satisfied with the 305hp? It would be an upgrade for me coming from about 240hp in my flashed coupe, but the torque would be about the same. But like I said, I would most likely do some mods for the V6 that would be good and bad. It would take some time and cost some money obviously, but it would be unique and be pretty nice when done and get slightly better mileage. But then again it would never be as fast as a stock GT without some major engine mods or FI and you never get back what you put into it with major mods. Plus with the base GT, I could concentrate more on cosmetic mods and interior like steering wheel and maybe some Recaros later on.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Get the 12 GT. You'll be happier in the long run. Trust me.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Yes trust us, I have a 6er but it was a gift. I want a V8 but I cant swing it now so I just gotta like what I got
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

You can get an awesome deal on the 12 GT.... No brainer GET IT!.. I heard roomers that they canceled orders on the mustangs with the track app... not sure if this is true though. Either way V8>V6.... a 2012 GT will smoke you in you 2013 V6 even with mods...... Just go drive one lol
Old 03-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Get the 5.0... may get a few less mpg but isnt that the point of performance? hehe
Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

What they said.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
I know the 2012 GT would be great, but a 2013 premium V6 would be right around the same price. I don't know, the interior would be nicer in the premium with the mycolor and the 2013 upgrades like track app and the rear lights and I like the premium wheels better. I don't know if I would be satisfied with the 305hp? It would be an upgrade for me coming from about 240hp in my flashed coupe, but the torque would be about the same. But like I said, I would most likely do some mods for the V6 that would be good and bad. It would take some time and cost some money obviously, but it would be unique and be pretty nice when done and get slightly better mileage. But then again it would never be as fast as a stock GT without some major engine mods or FI and you never get back what you put into it with major mods. Plus with the base GT, I could concentrate more on cosmetic mods and interior like steering wheel and maybe some Recaros later on.
If you don't buy the gt and get the v6 for some bells and whistles you are gonna be pissed at yourself. There is no subsitution for the V8!! Go for the gt and lay some rubber down you won't regret it I promise..where else can you get 400 plus hp for less that 30,000.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

So you are considering a 2013 V6 and a 2012 GT but you also say that over time you can put money into performance upgrades on the V6? Heck...you just take the money you were planning on the performance upgrades and do appearance upgrades on the GT. It's a heckuva lot easier to make it look prettier when you already got the power then it is the other way around. Your chances of screwing up the car with performance mods are a lot higher then some stickers and swapping seat skins, steering wheels, etc....

Buy the V8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 base 5.0?