Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions/concerns after my upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Bugsy1036

Default Questions/concerns after my upgrades

I have a few questions/concerns after my upgrades.

A week ago I installed a Roush axle back exhaust. Yesterday I installed the Steeda CAI and SCT tune including the idle program “ghost cam”.

My first concern is the smell; it smells similar to a burning electrical or fresh welding smell. I don’t see any exposed wires.

My second concern is with the throttle. I understand that the tune improves throttle response but if I don’t press the throttle with a very smooth and consistent amount of pressure the car starts to jerk. It’s even more noticeable when I accelerate aggressively. I feel like I’m 16 again.

Lastly with the idle tune the car sounds like it’s going to die when I’m coming to a stop. Also the idle tune doesn’t kick in till I rev the engine after it’s warmed up.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Bugsy1036; 03-30-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Deleting, this is a dup
Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

hit up Steeda regarding the tune and intake. they will be able to guide you.

if your exhaust smells, its normal for the first few days, there is some stuff that has to burn off.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Bugsy1036

I installed the exhaust about a week before I installed the CAI and tune. After I installed the exhaust I did not smell anything except for the first 20-30 minutes. The smell really came after the CAI and tune.

I posted on Steeda's board yesterday but nothing yet. I called Steeda today and they didn't have any ideas. The sales guy is asking around but in the meantime I thought I'd post here.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:22 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Contact the tune company, Bama, right?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Don't know bama but are you running a 93 octane race tune?? If so that "huffing" or jerkey throttle response in the low end is normal..Until you get used to how to feather the throttle correctly with the tune it will feel that way. Brenspeed said to expect that with theirs maybe bama is the same. Mine smelled a bit too at first but with a little milage it went away. Seemed to me it was located somewhere around the CAI; maybe its something with the steeda because I have the same one.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Bugsby,

What tune are you running, is this a Steeda tune or a Bama tune?

Any more information would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Bugsy1036

I talked to Steeda today and they’re having me send the tuner guy an email. Here’s an updated version of what I posted before. Once I hear from Steeda I’ll post an update.

About two weeks ago I installed a Roush axle back exhaust. Last Thursday I installed the Steeda CAI and SCT tune including the idle program “ghost cam”. I purchased the CAI, SCT tuner and Cam tune from Steeda.

My first concern is the smell; it smells like the car’s running rich. It’s seems to be worse while in stop and go traffic. It’s not the new exhaust because that smell went away about 20 minutes after I installed it, and that was almost two weeks ago. I don’t think the tips are too close to the plastic because it’s the squarish tips. It’s a 2011 Roush and the tips were designed to fit in the rear valance.

My second concern is with the throttle. I understand that the tune improves throttle response but if I don’t press the throttle with a very smooth and consistent amount of pressure the car starts to jerk. It’s even more noticeable when I accelerate aggressively.

Lastly, I’ve seen a few videos of other Mustangs with ghost tunes. In the videos I’ve seen the car starts as normal then once warmed the idle tune kicks in. My idle tune doesn’t kick in till I rev the engine after it’s warmed up. Even if the car’s already been driven for a while and more than warmed up. If I don’t rev the engine to kick in the tune then the car stalls out when I try to take off. In addition with the idle tune the car sounds like it’s going to die when I’m coming to a stop. Today was the worst it started gurgling and just about died on me two or three times on my way home from work. Another strange thing is the cool sounding idle is not consistent. When sitting for a minute it sound pretty badass, but coming to a stop it sounds like a POS. I live and work in downtown Sacramento and play a lot in stop and go traffic.

I ordered the SCT tuner with two programs. Steeda’s 91 Octane and CAI program plus a second with 91 Octane, CAI and Idle program. When I got home I immediately reprogramed my car with just the 91,CAI program. The car fired up fine, no idle lope. I took it for a drive and all was well, no more jerky throttle either, however it's more sensitive than stock and does seem to better a bit faster.

Can something be wrong with the idle tune because it made my car run, smell and sound pretty bad?