Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss Intake or Fuel Delivery Problem......

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyboyMustang
Alright so Im sure your sick of seeing threads from me by now but Im just trying to figure this out through process of elimination.

At first I thought it was the MAF sensor.....
Then I thought it was the Tune......
Then I thought it was the CAI........

Well its not any of those things.....

could it be it was this big black plastic thing on top of my motor that says Boss?!?

I know people are 50/50 on here about the Boss Intake. Could this be the problem causing my car to "fall flat on its face" on the launch? Yes I launch my car high enough at 6000rpm, but could it be that loss of torque causing the car to bog with only 3.73's.

Or

Is is the fuel sloushing back in the tank. I have run with a half tank of fuel so Im not to sure that is the problem.

My BEST 1/4 ET with the car is 12.6 with DR's, Boss Intake, Tune, and JLT CAI. The car is 6MT, which im sure a lot of you know haha. Then I see guys doing 12.3's without the boss.....

Below is a link to a youtube video of me doing a burnout and then launching which you can hear it falling flat on his face....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWPLufyMKk
O.k..sorry to slam blow up your post but I just listened to your run..are you possibly hitting the rev limiter when you launch. If you are at 6000rpm you are right on top of that. That "bog" you speak of literally sounds like you passing the red line. I know that sound I've done it. Just another thought. Hate when my stang isn't right just trying to help
Old 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSKILLER5.0
That is not correct a new tune is required for the boss intake?? Who is doing your tune and has your car been tuned to update to the boss intake? I know this is a dumb question but who did the install? Could there be any issues there? I think the tune has as much to do with this issues as anything. You are upgrading to intake with longer fuel runs and it is a different process. I put mine in a week ago and I love how it runs. Torque loss is as low as 10 foot pounds so it shouldn't be that noticeable. I haven't felt any of the issues with the boss that you have and minus some exhaust work we have the same set up..thats why I am most curious about the tune.
The car was tuned for the boss intake but i was told that going from the boss back to stock, a new tune wasnt needed. Me and my dad did the install so I know nothing is wrong there, hes an ASE cert master mechanic blah blah blah lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

O.k..sorry to slam blow up your post but I just listened to your run..are you possibly hitting the rev limiter when you launch. If you are at 6000rpm you are right on top of that. That "bog" you speak of literally sounds like you passing the red line. I know that sound I've done it. Just another thought. Hate when my stang isn't right just trying to help
hahaha no problem.

My rev limiter is set at 7400 with the current set up, launching at 6k I watch the tach and it just instantly drops before it goes up. I know i hit it in 2nd gear from the sound but thats cause i power shifted 2nd and up.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

The car was tuned for the boss intake but i was told that going from the boss back to stock, a new tune wasnt needed. Me and my dad did the install so I know nothing is wrong there, hes an ASE cert master mechanic blah blah blah lol.
Gotcha bro..Who did the tune? Honestly if you aren't throwing any codes it just sounds to me like the tune isn't set properly for the boss intake. I have heard of a lot of things about the boss good and bad but that one is new. Interesting I know most of the "big tuners" out there won't set your rev limiter that high. If you had no issues before, it is installed correctly, its been tuned, and there are no codes than honestly back to the tune is where I go. I know you said your old man was a mechanic so just a shot in the dark; did you reconnect the purge valve either through the boss install pack or the "rigged" way of doing it or did you leave it off?? I have read some articles where people were saying that was ok and just leaving it off..heard that can cause some issues.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha bro..Who did the tune? Honestly if you aren't throwing any codes it just sounds to me like the tune isn't set properly for the boss intake. I have heard of a lot of things about the boss good and bad but that one is new. Interesting I know most of the "big tuners" out there won't set your rev limiter that high. If you had no issues before, it is installed correctly, its been tuned, and there are no codes than honestly back to the tune is where I go. I know you said your old man was a mechanic so just a shot in the dark; did you reconnect the purge valve either through the boss install pack or the "rigged" way of doing it or did you leave it off?? I have read some articles where people were saying that was ok and just leaving it off..heard that can cause some issues.
He actually rigged it up and hooked it back up with a little home made set up, never had a code or anything.

I had a Bama tune, an older one and a Lethal tune, which i got more recently. Both tunes actually did the same thing which is why im thinking it the Boss Intake itself. Honestly it almost feels like the traction control is turning itself on when i launch, even saying it is turned off 100%, maybe the sensor is tripping itself or something? I know your supposed to gain more top end in the 1/4 mile with the Boss intake, but stock i did 117mph to a best of 112 with the boss. asdhashdjkasdhasdh so confused.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

He actually rigged it up and hooked it back up with a little home made set up, never had a code or anything.

I had a Bama tune, an older one and a Lethal tune, which i got more recently. Both tunes actually did the same thing which is why im thinking it the Boss Intake itself. Honestly it almost feels like the traction control is turning itself on when i launch, even saying it is turned off 100%, maybe the sensor is tripping itself or something? I know your supposed to gain more top end in the 1/4 mile with the Boss intake, but stock i did 117mph to a best of 112 with the boss. asdhashdjkasdhasdh so confused.
I am at a loss my man..like I said heard lots of pros and cons to the boss but this is a new one..I would at a minimum contact the tuning department and walk them through this. I know its ironic that both tunes did it but it is possible they were both wrong..at this point you have nothing to loose.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

I am at a loss my man..like I said heard lots of pros and cons to the boss but this is a new one..I would at a minimum contact the tuning department and walk them through this. I know its ironic that both tunes did it but it is possible they were both wrong..at this point you have nothing to loose.

haha thanks for the help, i really appriciate the effort.

Have you run your car in the 1/4 yet?

Last edited by FlyboyMustang; 04-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

haha thanks for the help, i really appriciate the effort.

Have you run your car in the 1/4 yet?
Not yet..that is next on my list. Got a friend that is working with me on launching and stuff..it will be my virgin run when I go so kind of excited. Baffled on the boss my buddy picked up 2/10ths when he swapped out. Hope you can figure it out. I know when I can get some room on the highway and get into some high rpms that thing is a monster. Sucks *** your car not working right I know.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

the boss intake cuts 10 ft-lb from the gt down low, that would not make the car bog from torque loss. you have something else going on. does it idle erratically? my buddy installed the boss intake and one of the little o-rings around one injector stuck to the factory intake, it took three mechanics before they noticed that little o-ring was gone. the car ran like crap until they replaced it. since you said it does it on two tunes, it cant be the tune. its easy enough to check if you have a vac leak, we did it with some TB cleaner iirc on my friends car, spray until the idle changes and you can find the culprit.

you absolutely need a specific tune for the boss intake, you cant go back and forth from it to stock. the stock tune especially would cause the car to run lean with the boss intake and could damage the motor. if you ran the stock tune for a long time with that boss intake, perhaps you fouled a plug from being rich?

Last edited by ShaneM; 04-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
the boss intake cuts 10 ft-lb from the gt down low, that would not make the car bog from torque loss. you have something else going on. does it idle erratically? my buddy installed the boss intake and one of the little o-rings around one injector stuck to the factory intake, it took three mechanics before they noticed that little o-ring was gone. the car ran like crap until they replaced it. since you said it does it on two tunes, it cant be the tune. its easy enough to check if you have a vac leak, we did it with some TB cleaner iirc on my friends car, spray until the idle changes and you can find the culprit.

you absolutely need a specific tune for the boss intake, you cant go back and forth from it to stock. the stock tune especially would cause the car to run lean with the boss intake and could damage the motor. if you ran the stock tune for a long time with that boss intake, perhaps you fouled a plug from being rich?
Damn that is wild..never would have thought of that direction..good call

Quick Reply: Boss Intake or Fuel Delivery Problem......