Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss Intake or Fuel Delivery Problem......

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Boss Intake or Fuel Delivery Problem......

Alright so Im sure your sick of seeing threads from me by now but Im just trying to figure this out through process of elimination.

At first I thought it was the MAF sensor.....
Then I thought it was the Tune......
Then I thought it was the CAI........

Well its not any of those things.....

could it be it was this big black plastic thing on top of my motor that says Boss?!?

I know people are 50/50 on here about the Boss Intake. Could this be the problem causing my car to "fall flat on its face" on the launch? Yes I launch my car high enough at 6000rpm, but could it be that loss of torque causing the car to bog with only 3.73's.

Or

Is is the fuel sloushing back in the tank. I have run with a half tank of fuel so Im not to sure that is the problem.

My BEST 1/4 ET with the car is 12.6 with DR's, Boss Intake, Tune, and JLT CAI. The car is 6MT, which im sure a lot of you know haha. Then I see guys doing 12.3's without the boss.....

Below is a link to a youtube video of me doing a burnout and then launching which you can hear it falling flat on his face....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWPLufyMKk
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

I didn't think the Boss intake was for "drag racing", and was known to maybe lose some torque low end.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 PM
2012Kona
1st Gear Member

Is your tuner capable of doing any logging? Maybe bad gas? Sensing knock under load? Does it do it when you hit 2nd? Did you install the venturi tube inside your CAI?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

Im just talking out of my butt here but id assume the intake.. just because it was designed for track racing, it gives up torque lower end for rpm's and power on the upper end. I applaud ford for doing that.. my thought is sell the boss and wait for ford to drop the cobra jet intake and throttle body.. that my friends will be your drag racing intake.. unless you plan on auto crossing. Then keep the boss
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2012Kona
Is your tuner capable of doing any logging? Maybe bad gas? Sensing knock under load? Does it do it when you hit 2nd? Did you install the venturi tube inside your CAI?
Interegation style, I like it!!!

Yes it is,
I dont think bad gas cause it does it all the time,
Dunno about sensing knock, it seems fine,
It doesnt do it so much when it hits 2nd, it seems to be under power only after the launch,

and i installed w/e the CAI came with wether it be a venturi tube or not. Its the JLT CAI.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Try launching at a lower rpm 3500 or 4500.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chub46
Try launching at a lower rpm 3500 or 4500.
Iv tried it, there is leg bogg, still some, but my 60' times are about a 2.0' launching at 3-4k. With that launch yesterday my 60' was a 1.8 even with the bog.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

And i was just told that I dont need a new tune for a stuck intake vs the boss intake? true or false?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyboyMustang
And i was just told that I dont need a new tune for a stuck intake vs the boss intake? true or false?
That is not correct a new tune is required for the boss intake?? Who is doing your tune and has your car been tuned to update to the boss intake? I know this is a dumb question but who did the install? Could there be any issues there? I think the tune has as much to do with this issues as anything. You are upgrading to intake with longer fuel runs and it is a different process. I put mine in a week ago and I love how it runs. Torque loss is as low as 10 foot pounds so it shouldn't be that noticeable. I haven't felt any of the issues with the boss that you have and minus some exhaust work we have the same set up..thats why I am most curious about the tune.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyboyMustang
Interegation style, I like it!!!

Yes it is,
I dont think bad gas cause it does it all the time,
Dunno about sensing knock, it seems fine,
It doesnt do it so much when it hits 2nd, it seems to be under power only after the launch,

and i installed w/e the CAI came with wether it be a venturi tube or not. Its the JLT CAI.

Thanks for the help!!
I believe its the airaid cai that comes with the venturi tube though I may be wrong..and sense knocking would lead back to the tune possibly.

Quick Reply: Boss Intake or Fuel Delivery Problem......