Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Mustang with Matte black roof...I did it!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 AM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

I like the idea, but it's just all alone I think if you got the $$, do the whole thing!! Would definitely be set apart from every other mustang I've ever seen. Kinda like the matte black chargers in Fast Five...I can't really picture it at the moment, but I'm thinking SEXY if you do it..
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Could always dip it, and if you don't like it peel it off..

http://youtu.be/rNY9Dx617N8
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I kind of like it. I wonder what a whole car would look like matte? I know the new Veloster turbo is going to have a gray matte color that I was thinking about getting, but I here they won't be out by the time my lease is up and they are going to be slower than I thought they would be.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I have seen the a whole mustang in the flat black material before and I did like it just thought it was over the top. It's hard to see in the pictures but it really ties in well with my matte black wheels and once I get the matte black panel on the rear it may help.
It actually took me a full day of really coming to like it, I figured some would like it while others would not, I like it because it is different on a black car anyways.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 AM
HIS S-197
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Originally Posted by oldlugs
All I have to say... is WHY? (and I'm being nice)
that^
odd considering no other visible matte black parts i could see
WHY NOT?

Install/Removal seems pretty straight forward.
I really dig the subtlety of this mod alone.
Confucious say, "Sometimes LESS IS MORE".
Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
supergp17

I've contemplated doing something like this myself, since I run a print shop and can get the material at a lower cost...

I was thinking either do the matte black or cover some of it in 3M carbon fiber vinyl.

FWIW I like the look of the roof. Maybe do the hood and trunk too?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by supergp17
I've contemplated doing something like this myself, since I run a print shop and can get the material at a lower cost...

I was thinking either do the matte black or cover some of it in 3M carbon fiber vinyl.

FWIW I like the look of the roof. Maybe do the hood and trunk too?
It's funny you say that, my plan was to do the hood roof and trunk but I got "cold feet" when I got to the shop and just had him do the roof. I think it would look pretty cool though, definitely different.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H-H-YAH
WHY NOT?

Exactly! Removal would take you all of 10 minutes and will not harm your paint at all (3m material). The complete job cost me $125.00 and about an hour and a half.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigD1515
I like the idea, but it's just all alone I think if you got the $$, do the whole thing!! Would definitely be set apart from every other mustang I've ever seen. Kinda like the matte black chargers in Fast Five...I can't really picture it at the moment, but I'm thinking SEXY if you do it..
Your car would look awesome with it I think. I will say it looks better on a white, silver, and red car but I thought it was worth a try; and since I couldn't someone who did it on a black car I figured it was a good excuse to go for it.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H-H-YAH
WHY NOT?

Well... Since you asked:
To me, the "matte" trend seems ghetto based. I understand and lived through an age where it was acceptable to drive a primered car all over town, and when rust showed through and the primer looked bad, you just re-did the primer. That was OK on a vintage hotrod that was a work in progress. Many of those old cars I used to see in primer, are now classic musclecar beauties, and properly painted. These days, the matte look seems most popular with the inner city crowd, and I prefer to distance myself from anything that I feel is "ghetto".
Yes, the stripes on my KR are also matte, but if I could have had the car without stripes, I would have (not a stripe fan, either).

To me, this is like wearing your cap backwards, or having one blue sock, and one red...just because you can. Pointless.
Had the OP just done the hood in matte, I could see some function; reduction of glare is a functional mod for a rally or race car.
Who sits on the roof?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black Mustang with Matte black roof...I did it!