Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in my TX 2010 GT to a California dealer. Will it pass emissions test?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:25 PM
JML2010Stang

Default Trading in my TX 2010 GT to a California dealer. Will it pass emissions test?

Alright here is the deal. I live in Binghamton, NY, about a year and a half ago, I bought a 2010 Mustang GT Premium, Automatic in Dallas, TX (great deal). Now I have the itch to trade up to the new 5.0. I found a 2012 Mustang GT Premium near Fresno, CA, I have agreed to a great deal to trade in my 2010 for a 2012. My 2010 has about 20,000 miles (ford certified warranty to 100,000 miles). Everything has been agreed to (prices, shipping etc). But this weekend I too a look under the hood and found the emissions sticker, and it says "NOT TO BE SOLD IN STATES WITH CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS". My heart sank! I did some research, called some dealers in the same Fresno area and found out that, a car without California emissions can be sold and traded in California if it has more then 7500 miles on the odometer (considered used). So before I drive 3000 miles to Fresno, will my car pass the California Smog tests? Given how new it is and that it is bone stock, most of the experts that I spoke, think it will pass. But before I get on the road, get there after 4 days of driving, and find out Im **** out of luck. In my town they can do the OBD II emissions testing, but I am not sure that it would be up to Cali standards. I will find out for sure on Monday (when I speak to the dealership manager. What do you guys think?

FYI, all 2012 mustangs sold in NY have California Emissions.

Thanks, Jose
Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I'd say change the oil when you get there and you should have no problem...unless you have made any mods to the car...have you made any modifications other than cosmetic ones?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Well, in your post you stated if its over 7500 miles then no problem...right?

I wouldn't worry one way or the other.

If your worried run it real hot with 93 octane right before the emissions test you'll be fine.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:22 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

You'll be fine. I brought other cars into CA when I lived there as did numerous people I know and they didn't have any problems with emissions.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:37 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JML2010Stang
...this weekend I too a look under the hood and found the emissions sticker, and it says "NOT TO BE SOLD IN STATES WITH CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS"....

What do you guys think?

FYI, all 2012 mustangs sold in NY have California Emissions.

Thanks, Jose
It's my understanding that all late model Mustangs are 50 state emission certified. Heck; even my '09 KR is 50 state legal, and it runs pretty damn rich! Are you sure you weren't looking at some sticker applied when an aftermarket part was installed?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

It will pass if you have enough cash at hand and you wink a lot and say "I really hope it passes." That worked in Monrovia CA for some when I lived in that area. Erik
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

I doubt you will have any problem.

Originally Posted by svt93style
Well, in your post you stated if its over 7500 miles then no problem...right?

I wouldn't worry one way or the other.

If your worried run it real hot with 93 octane right before the emissions test you'll be fine.
California has a NOx limit, NOx is a byproduct of high combustion temperatures. You don't want to test with hotter than normal engine temps.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 AM
JML2010Stang

Originally Posted by wcgman
I'd say change the oil when you get there and you should have no problem...unless you have made any mods to the car...have you made any modifications other than cosmetic ones?
I just changed the oil yesterday with Mobile 1, do you think doing it again after the 3k mile drive will help? And why would it help? And no, no mods to the engine or powertrain. I installed some Flowmaster American Thunder cat backs, but I am going back to the stock ones before I leave for CA.

Thanks, Jose
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JML2010Stang
I just changed the oil yesterday with Mobile 1, do you think doing it again after the 3k mile drive will help? And why would it help? And no, no mods to the engine or powertrain. I installed some Flowmaster American Thunder cat backs, but I am going back to the stock ones before I leave for CA.

Thanks, Jose
We have emissions here in Denver and I don't know how they compare to Cali, but when I worked at Pep Boys, cars that would fail, we'd tell them to change the oil or go have it changed and then they would pass the next day (it wasnt marketing...they would genuinely fail). Anymore emissions out here are run by the state.

I'd say you've got no worries with 3k on a new Mobile 1 change. Definitely pull the cat backs if nothing else to sell those here on the MF and recoup some of your gas money
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM
JML2010Stang

Originally Posted by wcgman
We have emissions here in Denver and I don't know how they compare to Cali, but when I worked at Pep Boys, cars that would fail, we'd tell them to change the oil or go have it changed and then they would pass the next day (it wasnt marketing...they would genuinely fail). Anymore emissions out here are run by the state.

I'd say you've got no worries with 3k on a new Mobile 1 change. Definitely pull the cat backs if nothing else to sell those here on the MF and recoup some of your gas money
Allright, so no oil change nesessary when I get to cali? Tommorrow is the day I find out. If the dealership manager is cool with the non-cali emissions trade in, on a used car, I will close the deal. $27900 for a gt premium with 515 miles on it. $24000 for my 2010 gt premium with 19k on it. The cars look identical down to the candy red paint, so my wife is confused why the hell Im doing it. But 100 horses matter!

Quick Reply: Trading in my TX 2010 GT to a California dealer. Will it pass emissions test?