Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT82 stupid clutch pedal placement SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Default MT82 stupid clutch pedal placement SOLVED

I, like - well, pretty much every other MT owner of a '11+ Mustang, curse the positioning of the clutch pedal. If I have my seat forward far enough to be able to push the clutch to the floor, my right leg is way too close to the throttle, and my leg gets cramped up and my knee keeps hitting the center console and it's painful and stupid.

If I have my seat back far enough that my right leg is comfortable for the throttle, I can't push the clutch all the way to the floor.

I curse the idiot who decided that putting the clutch pedal nearly even with the brake was a good idea.

After a year and a month of dealing with this, and after I'd started developing a rather constant and disturbing pain in my right knee - right where it contacts the center console - I decided I was going to figure out how to fix this, once and for all.

I searched the internet high and low without much success. Then, in another thread I can't recall, I saw somebody mention, off-hand, this product:

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...usEZClutch.htm

So after I took pause at the $50+ cost of what was essentially a hunk of plastic, I decided to dive in and order it. It came in today, and LO AND BEHOLD, everything is fixed.

I mean, EVERYTHING.

Here, I'll let the pictures show you. Yes, the clutch pedal pad is mostly f***ed. It's stupid, but I don't care enough to fix it.

Took a good long drive after installing it, and the relationship between the clutch and throttle is perfect. My kneecap no longer hits the center console. My leg no longer feels cramped, and my right foot no longer hurts where the top of the foot meets the ankle because I have to lift the foot up constantly to not touch the throttle.

It is literally like a whole new car. I literally dreaded driving the car sometimes because just thinking about it made my knee hurt. NO MORE.

If you think the placement of the clutch pedal is stupid, buy one of these things. It will fix it.

I'll write up an installation guide later, as the pedal pad is nigh impossible to get on the extender.

(note: I am in no way affiliated with Bondra, I'm just a super happy customer spreading the word.)
Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info and review of the part.

Don
Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Grim
1st Gear Member

Hmm...I may have to check this out. I'm not the tallest guy in town, so this may be very useful to me. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I too noticed the positioning of the gas to be too close relative to the clutch. The shifter seems to be in a fine position though.

Does this pedal extension give you any issues shifting into 3rd or 6th with the seat a bit farther back?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

easy way to test before you buy the product - just go tape a small block relatively close to that size to the pedal and go for a short drive. blah blah, don't be an idiot, do it safely.

not a terrible idea though. I am 5'8 and I notice my right knee being pretty close to the steering column with how far forward I have to sit for the clutch pedal.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:29 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

I was going to say dont you remember the indiana jones movie? Short round fixed that problem with wooden blocks tied to the pedals..
Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

This is great! I am researching why my new mustang has issues shifting, and I thought it was the trans, but I'm realizing it's the clutch not fully disengaging. I'm 6'0" and with the seat in a comfortable position, it is very difficult to push the clutch in all the way(to the floor), I was thinking a petal extender would work good, and viola! Here it is.

I
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
pfc_gomez
1st Gear Member

I think I might need this. I hate my knees hitting the console!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM
mtbker29
3rd Gear Member

Nice post!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Grim
1st Gear Member

So how about that write-up regarding the rubber pad? I ordered one of these last week and my Mustang should be in within the next week, so any kind of tips on installation would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: MT82 stupid clutch pedal placement SOLVED